• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why does my hamburger taste like liver?

RevZiLLa

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Everybody loves a good hamburger! I certainly have for years...until now. My wife and I have been noticing a liver flavor in our burgers this year that we have never had before. Grilled or pan fried, it tastes livery.

We have tried different sources and still get the same thing from Costco to Kroger to Food Lion to Walmart.

I know that beef is much leaner than it used to be and wonder if other changes in the product are causing this. I have also read that they are starting to inject beef too.
Do you guys get this too? Any idea why?

Do you notice a difference in taste for other foods?

It's in chuck too. I haven't been buying steaks for a while, but sirloin near the blood vein tasters that way

Everybody loves a good hamburger! I certainly have for years...until now. My wife and I have been noticing a liver flavor in our burgers this year that we have never had before. Grilled or pan fried, it tastes livery.

We have tried different sources and still get the same thing from Costco to Kroger to Food Lion to Walmart.

I know that beef is much leaner than it used to be and wonder if other changes in the product are causing this. I have also read that they are starting to inject beef too.
Do you guys get this too? Any idea why?

Buying the higher priced ground beef over the lower priced? You may be noticing the taste difference between "Grass Fed" and "Grain Fed" beef.

Grass fed beef has become the latest buzz word and more and more places are carrying it these days.
It is a little pricier though, so if you are buying the cheap stuff, this is likely not the issue.

:noidea:

I haven't bought ground beef in a few years, as we rarely seem to run out of ground venison, but in the past I've looked for chuckies to go on sale and then asked the butcher to grind it. That way you know what you're getting.

This is the only resource I've found about liver taste in Beef. Beware, it's 125 pages long, but will probably give you pretty good understanding of "why" :-D

And yes, it happens sometimes, also with whole muscles.

• Thanks
Reactions: YSR
This is the only resource I've found about liver taste in Beef. Beware, it's 125 pages long, but will probably give you pretty good understanding of "why" :-D

I saw it. Kind of said...I dunno for sure

Have you tried selecting some whole muscle cuts and having them ground for you?

Thanks for posting this. I've had the slightest of liver flavor in filets before and wondered if my taste buds were deceiving me...

I've come across also and guessed it was due to the animal not being bleed out completely or a bruise.Just guessing though.

I would guess it's additives used to keep it looking fresh. Does it smell like liver?

It didn't smell livery.

Seems a $10/lb cut should come with a money back guarantee against off flavors

I just read those pages. Probably learned more than I needed to know.

If my pre-Google analytical skills are still intact, I will explain. No, let me sum up.

Liver off-flavor occurs in several beef chuck muscles, including the infraspinatus (flat iron steak)...

....Results of this study indicate that infraspinatus steaks from older animals are most likely to have objectionable liver, sour/grassy, or rancid flavors. Objectionable flavor scores were lower in steaks receiving antioxidant injection or packaged
anaerobically in 0.4% CO-MAP....

What are the other chuck muscles (Which, as you know, eventually end up in ground beef)?

Longissimus dorsi (Ribeyes, Strips, Chuck),
Serratus ventralis (Boneless Short Ribs) ,
Supraspinatus (Mock Tender, Chuck Tender), and
Teres major (Petite Tender)

Age and diet (grass vs corn vs polyunsaturated fats) can increase the off-flavors.

I would say find another beefmonger if you get another bad batch.

Back