Help with half pan of beans

Chrisc133

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've now been asked to make a pan of beans for a family reunion in a couple of weeks...and have never made that quantity before.

Does anyone have a go to recipe for this quantity? A lot of people love the hog apple beans--has anyone scaled it to a hotel pan? Any other winners to consider?

This recipe will almost fill a half size pan thus preventing boil over. The Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans also will do close to the same amount.

Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689719&postcount=1

2 cans (15 oz) of cooked Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
4 slices of thick sliced bacon, chopped
1 lb maple fatty (smoked ahead of time), crumbled/diced
1 med onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper (I like orange or yellow)
1 can (21 oz) peach pie filling (run knife through can to cut up larger pieces into smaller pieces)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Famous Dave's Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
1/3 cup bourbon
1 lg clove garlic, minced
2 TBS yellow mustard
1 TBS rub (I like SM Sweet & Spicy)
1 TSP Ground Cayenne Pepper (OPTIONAL)

crumble or dice fatty and add to beans.

Brown Bacon in skillet (about 1/2 way) Add onion & pepper cook until just carmelized.
Slowly add bourbon & garlic simmer for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients to pan, mix thoroughly.
Put in pan in smoker, Smoke for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I smoke for 4 hours)

Last edited:
Hows this recipe compared to the Keri Hog's (or whatever it's called)? Everyone I serve that to loves it

Hows this recipe compared to the Keri Hog's (or whatever it's called)? Everyone I serve that to loves it

The recipes are somewhat similar except for the variation of apple vs peaches, and in the case of the Wampus Peach beans, you also add bourbon.

Both are somewhat too sweet for my likes with the pie filling, so I substitute diced apples or peaches in the respective recipe to make the beans a little more savory while still having some sweetness to them.

Well Keri's starts with Bush's baked beans. Whereas this recipe is more from scratch

How many people will you be cooking for

Here is what I do....they are very good. Serves about 15 people.

– 2 large cans Bush’s Original Baked Beans (drained completely)
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans drained
– 1 red onion (diced fine)
– 1 red bell pepper (diced fine)
– 1 glove garlic (diced fine)
– ¾ cup packed brown sugar
– 1 cup barbecue sauce
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
– 1 tablespoon Barbecue rub
– AP seasoning to taste
– 1/2 lb diced bacon, uncooked

Mix and place on 250 degree smoker uncovered for 1.5 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour. Add lid or cover with foil and continue to cook on 250 degree smoker for 1 hour.

How many people will you be cooking for

Here is what I do....they are very good. Serves about 15 people.

– 2 large cans Bush’s Original Baked Beans (drained completely)
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans drained
– 1 red onion (diced fine)
– 1 red bell pepper (diced fine)
– 1 glove garlic (diced fine)
– ¾ cup packed brown sugar
– 1 cup barbecue sauce
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
– 1 tablespoon Barbecue rub
– AP seasoning to taste
– 1/2 lb diced bacon, uncooked

Mix and place on 250 degree smoker uncovered for 1.5 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour. Add lid or cover with foil and continue to cook on 250 degree smoker for 1 hour.

They are expecting 50-55

I use a recipe developed by Dutch over at SMF. Scaled it up to sizes you would find at Sams.

1 #10 can of Bush's (117 oz can)
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 cups ketchup
2 cups brown sugar
1 20oz plastic jar of Dole Pineapple chunks (sold in a 4 pack)
1 lb of bacon
1 - 2 Tbsp. dry (ground) mustard

Cook the bacon. Dice up the peppers and onions, then saute in the bacon grease. Mix other ingredients in a bowl, add in the onions and the peppers. Cut the bacon strips into 1 inch pieces. Pour beans into disposable aluminum 1/2 pans. Cover with the bacon pieces.

Next step normally is to put the bean in the smoker for 2 hours or so, even better if they have some boston butts or briskets sitting over top of them just dripping all sorts of goodness into the pans.

Should make about 2 1/2 pans, depending on how full you do the pans. I usually leave 1/2inch or so from the top to accommodate a lid.

ok ... problem.... which one do I cook first...:confused:

I use a recipe developed by Dutch over at SMF. Scaled it up to sizes you would find at Sams.

1 #10 can of Bush's (117 oz can)
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 cups ketchup
2 cups brown sugar
1 20oz plastic jar of Dole Pineapple chunks (sold in a 4 pack)
1 lb of bacon
1 - 2 Tbsp. dry (ground) mustard

Cook the bacon. Dice up the peppers and onions, then saute in the bacon grease. Mix other ingredients in a bowl, add in the onions and the peppers. Cut the bacon strips into 1 inch pieces. Pour beans into disposable aluminum 1/2 pans. Cover with the bacon pieces.

Next step normally is to put the bean in the smoker for 2 hours or so, even better if they have some boston butts or briskets sitting over top of them just dripping all sorts of goodness into the pans.

Should make about 2 1/2 pans, depending on how full you do the pans. I usually leave 1/2inch or so from the top to accommodate a lid.

I ran across your post on the other forum last night actually. This look a like a solid recipe and easy. Are these pretty tasty?

This recipe will make a full hotel pan?

Since it's been mentioned earlier in the thread I figured I'd post it. The original thread can be found here. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21966-Keri-s-Hog-Apple-Baked-Beans

I made these last weekend for an SEC football party and everyone loved it

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
_____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

Update 9-8-2012: if the pie filling is a bit sweet for your taste, try peeling and diced two Gala apples, and saute them in the bacon grease with the onion and green pepper. Increase the brown sugar by about 2 Tbs, and add a dash of cinnamon if you're so inclined.

Back