Sealing WSM

Ringburner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

I've just lit the WSM (for the third time this week!!!) and I can't help but notice that it is very poorly sealed. Smoke pours out from around the charcoal door and also from around the lid.
I've seen this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-Webe...327955?hash=item27c295e513:g:k3oAAOxy63FSxPTp

But taking into account the exchange rate and postage it ends up being over $60 NZD. Being a broke Paramedic I think it's unlikely the Wife (read: Boss) is going to let the credit card out of her sight long enough to complete this transaction!

Has anyone out there figured out a solution to this using materials that might be available form the hardware store (we have Bunnings, similar to your Lowes only smaller). I'm not fussed if it's not pretty, I'm a function not form guy....

TIA

The middle could be out of round. It will effect the door as well. You just may need to give it a good hug. Measure the top and bottom along 4 points of the axis. If over 1/8 th inch out of round, cut a piece of 2x4 and rotate it around the top, middle and bottom.

The middle could be out of round. It will effect the door as well. You just may need to give it a good hug. Measure the top and bottom along 4 points of the axis. If over 1/8 th inch out of round, cut a piece of 2x4 and rotate it around the top, middle and bottom.

Thanks, just using the Eyeometer it looks like it could be out of round!! It's too hot to do anything about right now but I'll have a play with it tomorrow.....

I would encourage you to check out this post by THoey1963, back when he was running a WSM:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917

How many cooks have you done in your WSM? I'm asking because as far as the lid goes, the more of a gunk build-up it gets the tighter that seal is. The door is another matter.

Thanks I'll check out that thread.

The lid has gotten more and more snug over the years, I think judging where the smoke is coming out either side it's probably slightly out of round.
Can't believe I didn't think to check.

They do tend to leak a bit around the door and lid especially when they are newer....after 20-30 cooks it's a different story, they tighten up.......but all that being said, i see aftermarket doors, gaskets and other products designed to keep every bit of smoke in and frankly I don't get it, my wsm is several years old, it still weeps a tiny bit around the door but even when it was newer and weeping more it never affected the cook, I can hold 200,225,250,300 etc with some smoke leaking around the door......I see people talking about never ever ever never throttling down the exhaust vents but a little smoke leaking around the door is a big deal? Sorry for my rambling.

If you are not having problems with temperature control and when shutting down all the vents it chokes off the fire saving fuel I wouldn't worry about it. I look at it like the smoke has to go somewhere and it's better than it stagnating inside the cook chamber. Mine still leaks a little around the lid but it is only noticeable when the fire/smoke is dirty and billowing, once the fire cleans up it's a non issue.

Fixing the out of round issue should help a great deal but making slight adjustments to the flimsy door should help too. Just look at where the door has any gaps around the body of the smoker and make small adjustments to the door with your hands until it fits better. It won't be perfect but sometimes the doors come from the factory very out of shape

I had 4 WSMs at one time and NONE of them ever were 100% sealed. The most sealed one still leaked slightly but still made excellent Q

Like KevinJ said, if you're not having problems with temperature control and the fire chokes out at the end of a cook, it's not really a problem. I, too, still have some leaks after years of use, but not so much that I can't dial in the temps I want.

The lid on my 22.5 OTG is out of round, I clamp the gaps with a couple of clips kinda like these, now I can hold 275F or 350F (135C, 177C) rock steady for hours:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Bulldog-Clips-Box-12/dp/B0006HVPXS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474394879&sr=8-6&keywords=bulldog+clip"]Amazon.com: X-ACTO Bulldog Clips #4, Box of 12 Clips (2004): Office Products[/ame]

Think about how much smoke comes out of the damper on top, its not a problem at all and sealing will gain marginal performance if that.

I fought similar problems for a number of years. I hugged it, hit it, and cussed at it a lot. I never could get mine to seal right. I finally gave up and bought some Nomex gasket material. My WSM was a totally different cooker from that day on.

There is nothing magic or special about the "kit" they sell on EBay. It is the same stuff that you use as seals on the ceramic cookers like Kamado Joe or Big Green. Everything is glued on the middle section so you probably want to degunk it first, You put one piece on the lip where the top sits, one at the bottom rim where it slips into the base, and then cut several small pieces to seal the door.

I would think that a roll of this should be available with a little searching in New Zealand. Put it on with the same high temp glue that you use for those cookers. At the end of the day you will be really happy you did it.

Auto parts store, get some high temp silicone. Put beads around the areas and smooth it out with your finger, might even scuff the areas for better contact with some sand paper.

I have cooked on mine a long time , I wouldn't get sucked into any gimmicks, just cook away , your good to go. I did try a Cajun bandit door on one of mine and noticed zero difference

Mine leaks around the door but I never saw a reason to mess with it. I have 0 problems locking in at whatever temp I want.

Thanks all for replying.
Actually the WSM holds around 260f all day and snuffs out readily with all the vents closed. I've tried hugging it (and swearing at it when my wife and son are out) and I think I made it worse. I could probably leave it as is but as with everything I'm compelled to make it perfect.
I think I'll track down a roll of nomex and some high temp glue.

They will hold temp pretty well even with major leaks.

The key piece of info for me is that it snuffs out readily. If that is true the leak isn't big enough to worry about.

Here you go.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Gasket-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-gasket/dp/B00CI6WFCU"]Amazon.com : WSM Gasket Kit, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 22.5 Nomex RTV grill gasket seal : Weber Smokey Mountain Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Mine leaked as well...I did the above seal kit....and can honestly say...doesn't cook any better...may be able to squeak a couple more hours on the coals...not realy needed...I got 12 hours before.

Back