Finely found ma a Weber

Mred21

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up a 25 year old Weber Smokey Joe gold at the thrift store for $8. It's in good shape could yes some cleaningin lid and the cooking grate. Suggestions? I also have some 16 gallon drums and one fits into the bottom of THE SJ I am thinking that eather put holes in the bottom of the drum or cut out the bottom leaving a lip for the charcoal grate to sit on since the air intake is so high on the joe. I hope to build a WSM type smoker middle so I can smoke or grill.

Attachments

• smokie joe.jpeg
    smokie joe.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 339
IMHO don"t do any cutting to the weber until you get your tamale pot to make a Mini WSM.Google Mini WSM. Tons of ideas.
Have fun.

My mini WSM is built on a SJ Gold with holes drilled in the bottom of a tamale pot. It does a good job as a LNS smoker but won't hold temps 300+ for any sustained amount of time. Knowing those limitations, it is extremely stable and does a great job for LNS.
IMAG0980_zps10ccff9a.jpg

Ive made 2 mini's. Good little cookers. If you want to use it at higher temps cut out the whole bottom and get a diffuser.

My mini WSM is built on a SJ Gold with holes drilled in the bottom of a tamale pot. It does a good job as a LNS smoker but won't hold temps 300+ for any sustained amount of time. Knowing those limitations, it is extremely stable and does a great job for LNS.

That looks great, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who uses bricks to prop his chimneys off the ground.

I use my mini to run a dutch oven-or for tailgaiting.....had a full size Weber kettle.....until the wife had to move it and accidentally left it behind my truck....made quick work of that.

I have 4 of these ugly little drums. I will use one for the smoker and cut one up for doors a couple of them are smaller at the bottom so they can be stacked and fit nicely into the bace of the DJ.

Attachments

• joe with drum.jpeg
    joe with drum.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 131
Smoked some pork loin on the joe. Also had some on my Brinkmann when the coals were dieing down I moved them to he Brinkmann they were about as done as the ones on the big grill. Smoked the loin because when we cooked the first chops they tasted old. The old taste was replaced with smoked flaver

Attachments

• joe smoking pork.jpg
    joe smoking pork.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 63
Back