Sealing WSM

Mine leaked as well...I did the above seal kit....and can honestly say...doesn't cook any better...may be able to squeak a couple more hours on the coals...not realy needed...I got 12 hours before.

That's good to know. Thanks

I have the gasket kit on my WSM22 and the CB Door. Also clamps holding the bottom to middle sections. Can't say it has helped but I am happy that they cut out some leakage. I like my toys so that is what matters to me.

In your pursuit of perfection, you could think of it this way - the WSM is not air tight, it wasn't designed that way, nor does it need to be. So, in that since, your WSM is probably perfect.

In your pursuit of perfection, you could think of it this way - the WSM is not air tight, it wasn't designed that way, nor does it need to be. So, in that since, your WSM is probably perfect.

Great way of looking at it...... the modifying bug is a disease lol

No smoker is air tight - it goes against the principles of drafting the smoke.

As long as the meat sees the proper heat and smoke, it's all good.

This whole "smoke" cooking is a VERY inexact science. Just go with what you know and cook your a$$ off to perfection.

Mine has sealed up from many cooks over time. As far as doing any better once it sealed up, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the quality of food or any changes in controlling the temps. Still see a little smoke coming around the door and around the lid up until it settles to thin blue smoke but I no longer worry about it.

Mine "weeps" smoke until it comes up to temp. Once there, all smoke not coming out of the top disappears. It holds whatever temp I want (lowest I tried was 200) and shuts down leaving the unburnt coals when I close all the vents. As someone said earlier, as long as it holds temps and shuts down when you're through, it's working properly.

Cajun bandit SS door. You'll marvel at how good it is, and how weber sells such a great cooker with a junk door.

But as many have said, a handful more cooks will get you a nice gunk buildup that will seal most of the rest of the thing. Plus, it doesn't have to be AIR tight - a little bit of smoke leak won't hurt anything.

Back