• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st catering gig! (sorta)

S

steev-o

I love my UDS. Forever.
So, I've been sharing my leftovers w/ coworkers, who always rave about them. I've done a few briskets, all came out tasty. Lots of butts & picnics, ABTs, chix, wings, etc. Everything seems to be turning out really nice, and this had me thinking- "hey! I might be able to make a little extra $$ on the side, flogging my chunks of smoky deliciousness!"
My 1st step is to get the freebies going, you know, get 'em hooked for free. Then watch them start jonesin'.
Today I offered to provide lunch on Saturday to 15-20 ppl at the local raceway, basically just lunch for our pitcrew & friends. (My boss is racing in the NHRA Nationals up here) I'll be making some pp sammies. Starting small & simple.
I think I'm going to get serious about making this a steady weekend-thing. Wish me luck!
Any tips/suggestions absolutely appreciated, too!

flogging my chunks of smoky deliciousness

That's just funny. :heh:

Go for it bro... Extra money is always a good thing. Good luck! Get a list and plan it out properly... from meat to disposables. You'll be good! And as you said.. Start small and simple!

Cheers

The best thing that you can do is to learn the rules of your local health department (or whatever governmental agency looks after caterers and restaurants in Canada) and get the appropriate permits/licenses. Next is to plan out a simple catering menu and understand the cost of each serving. Make sure your prices are a minimum of 3x the direct cost of the groceries on average. There's usually a better markup on side dishes than there is on ribs, for example. Be sure to have adequate insurance coverage in case something does go wrong. It's not as easy as it looks, but once you get your processes down, it can be a lot of fun. Best of luck!

Thanks for the comments bros. I've got a couple different BBQ calculators that I'm using to help w/ the cost/serving figures, so let's hope that works out.
NRA4Life: I offered to do it gratis, but the bossman wouldn't have it. "Fark that," he said " I'm gonna pay ya!" OK, then.
ipls3355: Be my guest!

Cheers!

Back