Natural Gas versus Propane discussion?

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has there ever been a good discussion between NG and propane on here before?

Propane burns hotter/has more energy, but natural gas is more convenient especially if you already have an outdoor line. You just have to be careful not to leave the grill on!

That's about all I can add

Last edited:
Hank Hill already addressed it....

......but I don't recall any discussion here. Besides needing a different orifice size for each, I always considered them one and the same as far as grilling goes.

Attachments

• i-find-your-lack-of-propane-disturbing.jpg
    i-find-your-lack-of-propane-disturbing.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Propane can be portable NG not really.

Propane has to be refilled and you need 2 cylinders. Not so with NG.

Ill find out in a couple weeks we are building a new house and I have a natural gas line ran to the outdoor grilling area.
This will be my 1st NG grill that I have owned.

I'll never forget the day my Dad got his new natural gas Weber kettle (permanent). We used the crap out of that thing and it lasted forever. I say go for it!

If you have access to natural gas then absolutely 100% use it. I converted my griddle and it's been awesome. Had to drill out the orifices' a bit due to lower energy content. Dam it's so nice to just walk out and fire up without ever worrying about whether the tank is going to run out.

Natural Gas is lighter than air, Propane is heavier than air. Because of this, I believe that
Natural Gas is much safer.

f6e.gif

Currently have a NG Weber Genesis and have had other gas grills that ran on propane. I can't tell a difference in taste or performance. I love the fact that I haven't ran out of propane mid cook in five years. I don't miss hauling them to the gas station to get filled up. I did accidentally leave a burner on for about a week once though.

NG all the way for me.

I don’t like the idea that scents are added to natural gas for detection. Yuck.

It’s in propane too, except I think they put more in NG.

How about that. After a short google search, they sure do. I guess the only difference is the heat produced from methane vs propane.

Natural Gas, Essentially Methane CH4
- Adiabatic Flame Temperature 1963 C or 3565 F
- Heat of combustion in air (Higher heating value) 889 kJ/mol

Propane, C3H8
- Adiabatic Flame Temperature 1980 C or 3596 F
- Heat of combustion in air (Higher heating value) 2220 kJ/mol

Last edited:
Not really much more to add. Propane has more btus and is great for high heat. Natural gas you never have to refill.

I have a propane grill and a back porch gas line.

Ill find out in a couple weeks we are building a new house and I have a natural gas line ran to the outdoor grilling area.
This will be my 1st NG grill that I have owned.

You will Love it and Congratulations. Lower BTU's but gets the job done. :clap:

My brother lives in Newfoundland, Canada. That’s where I’m from. In Newfoundland there are no natural Gas lines and homes are heated with wood, fuel oil, electricity or propane.

People who use propane typically have a 420 lb tank outside their home that automatically every few weeks the propane truck shows up and refills your tank. You don’t have to call to order it or anything. Thus, it’s like being on NG except it’s propane.

So when my brother was building his house he went propane and made sure that a line was run from the main propane header to his deck where he was going to put the bbq. Thus he has the best of both worlds; endless supply of fuel and the higher heat/temperature value of propane.

Last edited:
Yes propane has a higher BTU rating. However, a BTU is a BTU, is a BTU. For example: if a burner is rated for 10,000, then with the proper size orifice, it does not matter which gas is supplied.

So to answer your question, go with the natural gas hook-up for the convenience and cost. Only draw back is you loose portability.

Robert

Back