Pit Boss Controllers

Hoosier1960

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have 2 Pit Boss smoker. One is the Copperhead Series 5. The other is a Pro 1100. Both of them have had a problem with error ErL The 1100 I had on both of my first 2 cooks.I talked to Pit Boss when I had the problem on the Copperhead 5. It was recommended to clean the pit temp probe. Any one else experiencing this type of problem? I have to unplug and plug back in to reset them.

I have the Austin LX same as yours but no shelf, mine is 2.5 years old and no issues so far, yours is a newer version and the controls work a little different I have been told

I also have that 5 series pit boss and have had nothing but problems since I have owned it. Mainly it is the ErL code and i cannot for the life of me firgure out the issue.

It will be working fine for an hour and then just shut off with that code. I contacted pitboss and they sent me some info.

I am hoping they will send me a new controller or probe. I haven't had the smoker a year yet.

I just relegated my pitboss to the shed for now and bought a rectec for the time being.

I hope you figure out your problem as it is very frustrating

I have a Copperhead 5 that was a Walmart special a couple of years ago. It is my favorite compared to my PB820. I have had the error code before. One time for me may have been because I moved my pan up and the heat wasn't blocked and must have gotten the temp prob too hot? Sunday, it went off 20 or 30 minutes into cooking. I unplugged and turned on, and it went back to work, no problem.

My 5 series has only errored out on me twice, and both were after deep cleans where the auger was empty, etc. I regularly run it overnight without a glitch.

I do despise the location of the controller. I'm constantly dripping grease on it, and when washing the smoker I did get so much water into the controller, that it fried out and I had to order a replacement.

Overall, I love it. I bought it on that clearance sale where it was like $150, and I've seriously considered buying a full price backup to have, just in case. I use the full capacity regularly, and I think I'd have to jump up to a FEC 100 (at 5k) to get an upgraded smoker with the same space.

Last edited:
It happens on my Tailgater occasionally, I do need to give it a thorough cleaning tho. I have seen the digital temp display go wild once before it errors out.

I also have that 5 series pit boss and have had nothing but problems since I have owned it. Mainly it is the ErL code and i cannot for the life of me firgure out the issue.

It will be working fine for an hour and then just shut off with that code. I contacted pitboss and they sent me some info.

I am hoping they will send me a new controller or probe. I haven't had the smoker a year yet.

I just relegated my pitboss to the shed for now and bought a rectec for the time being.

I hope you figure out your problem as it is very frustrating

Same experience. Now I just smoke it at 200 since I have no issues maintaining temp at that setting. Then finish in the oven. Same difference since it’s a pellet.

Same experience. Now I just smoke it at 200 since I have no issues maintaining temp at that setting. Then finish in the oven. Same difference since it’s a pellet.

I just received an email today from pitboss this morning saying they sent me a new control board and temp sensor. I am hoping this solves the problem

I hope so too. I got a new controller board for the Copperhead 5. I that doesn't do it I will probably put a RecTec controller in it.

I had an issue once on my series 5, which I believe was due to a pellet void. I clean the pit temp sensor with a brillo pad prior to every cook. It takes literally 3 seconds.

I hope so too. I got a new controller board for the Copperhead 5. I that doesn't do it I will probably put a RecTec controller in it.

I just replaced the controller today and had the same issues as before. Pit boss is sending me a new temp probe that should be here monday so I will see if that solves the problem.

If not I may go the same route with the recteq controller. Might as well install the extra large recteq temp probe too.

Back