First time cook for the masses

ajajbrent

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Our competition team was approached by a company to cater a 250 person bbq lunch in January. We have never cooked for this many people at one time. The lunch would be you basic bbq lunch (pork, slaw, beans, desert). I have seen previous threads about allowing 1/3 lb cooked meat per person. I have no idea on what to charge. I believe I can get our food expenses for the cook to be about $700-900. What would be a fair price to cover time, fuel, spices, and tableware? All in I was going to do the cook for $2500-$3000. Any thoughts? Too high or too low?

1/3 is a good number.

I would say that your number of $2500 to $3000 is correct and competitive. But, the best way it to get the actual prices you will be paying for the food and calculating from there. Our recent cook, the cost of tri-tip went up considerably for us, and that pushed our budget.

What landarc said, but I'd be at $3000 with a dessert.

Thanks for your help. I thought I was on the right track, but wanted to confirm with a few of you online.

It definitely depends on your costs. You can also look at other brethren's websites for their prices just to compare? Don't forget about staff, set up clean up etc.

1 meat, 2 sides and dessert should go about $14-15 PP. Add $1 PP for serving ware.

$4K and your money! ;)

Back