Flat Iron Steak Confusion?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is what my grocer is calling Flat Iron Steak, however the Flat Iron Steak I've seen on YT and elsewhere does not resemble this. Is this Flat Iron Steak and how is it best cooked?
X3M13tt.jpg

wUdleI4.jpg

A flat iron steak comes from the shoulder clod in the top blade area, and they are marbled. Your package of steaks is marbled, but I've never ever seen a flat iron steak with a bone, but the bone could be the blade bone. Maybe you have a near-flat iron steak? Or maybe your's are cut at 90° to the way mine in the photo was cut?

This is what my grocer is calling Flat Iron Steak, however the Flat Iron Steak I've seen on YT and elsewhere does not resemble this. Is this Flat Iron Steak and how is it best cooked?
X3M13tt.jpg

Not a Flat Iron, I believe that's a "Blade Steak" which is cut across the grain in the Chuck rather than a Flat Iron which is cut with the grain.

Is a blade steak the same as a shoulder steak? That's what that looks like to me.

When I worked in a meat market decades ago, we called those chuck eyes. I've never actually cooked and eaten one, though.

A flat iron is long and thin with the grain running long ways.

Years ago I would see a cut marked as a patio steak, always wondered where it was cut from,

Back