• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

AAHHH Catering for Family

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! :mmph: Good lord above. Who needs enemies when you've got friends like that. :crazy:

I was really shocked! I was really upset because we've been friends since the childhood and I thought he's a nice person, but ...

I only cook for close friends and family who I am willing to donate my labor to. Cooking is a hobby for me, and I haven't put myself in a position where it was necessary to charge for my time. To people who have asked, I have declined.

My brother in law who is about 20 years younger than me and 16 younger than my wife (his sister) is getting married next year and had me price catering the wedding today with apps, full dinner, rentals, and staffing. I priced it at my cost which was a 65% discount give or take to him. He calls my wife up after getting the price and says "Holy $1*# you all need to give me a farking family discount.:wacko::confused::loco: AAAAhhhh family.

Don't do business with family if you want to remain friends with them. Theres a reason they hire you instead of someone else. Tell them to hire someone else and remain friends.

Always price family events on paper with your regular charges. Hand them a quote/invoice with the standard price clearly showing...then their family discount and "their" price. They will never even mention how high "their" price is after seeing the "regular" price right above it.

This is a good idea. But sometimes they still complain. Geez. They just don't want to go straight forward that you have to cater them for free. LOL

I had a buddy who taught me a lesson on this.

He was a locksmith. Family would always want him to cut keys for free or rekey their houses at no charge. He told them no every time.

He said I will help you move from one house to another, baby sit your little monster so you and the misses can go out to dinner, hell i will even split fire wood for you...but I provide for my family by locksmithing. so here is your bill.

It became crystal clear to me how to address it with family and friends from that point forward.

Back