150 leg quarters

mr big

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm cooking 150 leg quarters for pulled chicken sandwiches tomorrow. I plan on a light rub of S&P, Garlic Powder, Lemon Pepper, and Paprika. Then 1 hour at 300 flipping and basting with Butter, Honey, Hot sauce (just for taste) and a little of the rub and going until done. My question is do I pull the skin off first or after their done? Is there a better internal temp. to go to for pulling chicken.

I'd pull the skin back from the thigh part when I was rubbing to get the seasoning on the meat then pull it back over to cook to 165-170. I'd then pull the skin as I pulled the meat off the bone. I'd also save the skin & bones to make stock for later. I'm sure opinions will vary...

You can throw some of that chicken skin on the grill and crisp it up to crumble over the pulled chicken sammies. I agree with Dan - save the bones for stock.

Go to Sam's and buy the boneless and skinless thighs. It's whole lot easier then messing with the bones and skin.

When i cook chicken to make pulled chicken, i use the skin to add flavor after pulled. I remove the skin, pull the chicken, add the skin, and mix it all up. After that remove the skin again, and all that great flavor is now in the pulled chicken.

agree on the boneless skinless.

after they are pulled, I put them in a foil pan, with some chicken stock and rub.

Put the pan back in the cooker for a little bit to mix all the flavors.

always a big hit

your sauce mix sounds great too!!

Back