Refurb of the Mighty Weber Gasser. (on going)

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I paid $276 for this rig at Home Depot 7 years ago and since joining this Fine Site 5 years ago have used it more than my last 3 gassers combined. Mostly because they would not last. and rust out. Since then, I've replaced the Flavorizer bars with SS once. I also tried SS grills. That to me was a mistake.

Well now the ole grill is showing signs of wear and does not grill like she used to. My Wife could say the same thing about me. :tsk:

Putting this thread together to get input on this refurb as this is the place to find out.

Here are the Before pic's:

Messed up with Weber Support and forgot to order a new lid therm.
fbyow0.jpg

A word about Weber Support. Second to none. Posted this thread after getting off the phone with them:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246368

She's a Weber Spirit S-320. Nuthing fancy but will cook a steak or burgers and sausage on week nights just fine.

21ln9co.jpg

The burners are wearing out as it also needs a good cleaning. Also the guts are gone.

Helpful tip! Never let the new Son in Law come to visit with some sugar based BBQ sauce and think you can burn it off later. That stuff put my Porcelain Enameled gills over the edge. Rust in the upper left.

2vbu6n6.jpg

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean this rig? Going to pull grates, Flavorizer bars and install new burner tubes. Need to get rid of the gunk.

2h33fki.jpg

I have the new parts just have to find time to do it. Will post progress.

Any input Appreciated Brethren. :thumb:

I have the SAME EXACT GRILL. Also bought it at Home Depot. My drip pan is rusted through, grates are rusty, and it has a half inch thick crust of char built up on the inside walls. The side burner sees regular action to light the charcoal for my WSM. I'm interested to see how this comes out. And how much it ends up costing. Mine needs a refurb bad.

I started one of these rehabs on a weber genesis silver I picked up for free knowing it needed new grates, new flavorizer bars, a new ignitor and new burners. I got it cleaned up pretty good, but I'd rather drop the money for parts into toys for my Kamado Joe, or maybe even a new kettle.

There is also no way I could get my money back out of it after refurbing, but I also don't want to throw it away....

Attachments

• 20170503_195605.jpg
    20170503_195605.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 348
First song on first cook of your Cajun Resurrection.

Coming Back To Life, Pink Floyd.

I got my 2 burner, the exact same as tenpennys, for $20. Needed new burners which were about 15 bucks. I will easily get 35 out of it. If it needed more I would of found a cheap solution. I know those grates are an arm and a leg

I got my 2 burner, the exact same as tenpennys, for $20. Needed new burners which were about 15 bucks. I will easily get 35 out of it. If it needed more I would of found a cheap solution. I know those grates are an arm and a leg

I've yet to find any grates that put gill marks on meat like these. Cast iron will but too much of a hassle to keep from rusting.

nice!

i just picked up this bad boy last month.

06XtuBVl.jpg

here it is after about a half hour of spraying off and wiping down.

TTvZ0HVl.jpg

i'm going to have to replace the igniters. burners work ok, but i'll replace them along with flavorizer bars soon.

eM0ABCYl.jpg

W3GKhowl.jpg

Update,

It's been raining hammerhandles and pitchforks here. Going to try it in the AM.
Meanwhile the mailman knocked on the door today and delivered this

72y5xl.jpg

Came with this card

2vl623m.jpg

Totally unexpected but very much appreciated! I thought this kind of Customer service was gone. Happy to know it's still out there with Quality Companies like Weber.

I refurb a 2002 Silver B ...it came out just great. Just take your time and do it right. Mine is the best gasser I have ever owned.

Update

Got rained out again this weekend. Unpacked the parts though. 5 Flavorizer bars, 3 burner tubes with crossover tube, And porcelain enamel grills which I left in the box due to some oil stains on the outer package.

28rplwp.jpg

Can't wait to get started on this rig but as we all do, other obligations. Will get it done soon. Very detailed instructions included.

Finally had the time and weather to replace the parts. Posted some before pic's earlier in this thread.

This is what I found when I got into it:

And bringing it back up:

Simple to rebuild but darn it was dirty. Scraped a ton of stuff off but did not have all day to get it spotless.
Take away, Easy and can't wait to cook on it. Purty blue flame!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Nice job Toast. Wish I had seen this earlier. Easy way to clean the inside of the cookbox is to use an angle grinder and a 4inch cup wire brush. Or, you could use a drill and wire wheel, or one of those wheels that looks like lava rock. Angle grinder is faster though. Will take most of the box down to shiny bare aluminum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nice job Toast. Wish I had seen this earlier. Easy way to clean the inside of the cookbox is to use an angle grinder and a 4inch cup wire brush. Or, you could use a drill and wire wheel, or one of those wheels that looks like lava rock. Angle grinder is faster though. Will take most of the box down to shiny bare aluminum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I have both and should have used them. Thought about it but for the amount of time I had to spend could not do it.

Maybe when I retire I'll go back into it.

Back