Need some help with catfish timeline and recipe

Jethro608

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've done a search but having some problems: I cant seem to find a good thread on how to smoke catfish, I would like to do some big skinned fillets for lunch and pork spare ribs for dinner.
So if you could help me with a catfish timeline and recipe or direct me to a good thread I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Cedar planking is the only time cedar gets near my smoker. I'll soak it for an hour and it acts as a heat shield that imparts flavor. I've done salmon and did Dover sole yesterday . I can't say I've done catfish. Once fish is on the plank, I'll stick a temp probe into thickest part and place the plank right on the cooking grates. Fruits woods are preferred and smoker temp should stay below 250

I can only hazard a guess on the catfish filets, and it really depends on how thick they are. The guess is about an hour at that temp for 3/4" thick. And maybe less.

I've smoked different kinds of fish that I'd brined and air dried, pieces maybe a bit thicker, at 225 for an hour or two. But that's a different thing than just getting some filets cooked.

If they're thick enough to get an instant read into them, pull them at maybe 140.

Again, just guessing.

This may have some help for you on the cooking time: https://docs.google.com/viewer?doce.../storage/The 3 Men's Fish Smoking Process.pdf

You don't need to do their whole process - after all, they call themselves "three men with too much time on their hands".

Last edited:
I haven't smoked 'em but I have grilled catfish a lot. Rinse and pat dry, rub with evoo then Slap Ya Momma. Inside down on grill for about 2-3 minutes then flip to finish, use medium heat. If grate is too open, put on foil. If using gas, make a smoke packet, apple is nice.

Wanna give a shout out to the Brethren and Catfish College for the advice and support
Ok ugly drum rolling and catfish and ribs on. Temp at 230 fish on 1 1/2 hrs and starting to look good. ribs just starting to bleed..

Back