Mac & cheese prep the day before?

sylntghost

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Need advice . Our church is having a dinner to honor our high school graduates tomorrow after church. I am making smoked Mac & cheese.Would it still turn out alright if I put it together tonight and smoke it tomorrow? The Mac will be done with a bechamel sauce. Thanks ahead of time. I know y'all have the answer :becky:

Should be fine, although if you like it to be creamy/saucy you may want to make more sauce or keep it a bit thinner than you normally would.

I routinely make mac & cheese the day ahead. Then pop it in the oven to finish it the day of eating. Always turns out great, and I think I actually prefer the texture of the final product after it's sit in the fridge overnight. But I like it more "casserole" like than runny creamy.

I do a no boil mac and cheese that got together in about 5 minutes - this sys oven, but I know folks who smoke it too.

I really just eye-ball the cheese... you can't have too much cheese IMHO. FYI - I like my mac and cheese more "solid" then creamy so I think the amount of cheese plays into this.

Basic recipe:

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1 stick butter

12 ounces yellow cheddar cheese

4 Ozs. mozzarella cheese

5 cups milk

salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven 350,

Layer macaroni, butter, and cheese in the order given in a 9-by-13 dish. Pour milk over the top layer. Bake 1 hr. do not cover.

To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil for the last 15 min. of baking.

Ya totally. I have a bechamel recipe that makes 3 half pans so I'll just chill and then vacuum seal up any pans that I don't eat that day and freeze. They thaw and bake up real well. I cook the noodles about half way.

Last batch I made with a bechamel I did ahead of time and it was in the fridge 3 days before cooking. It was great.

Back