Competition Chicken

hittman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone done bone in thighs skinless with success? If so would you share your process?

We were doing them for a while... you have to be careful as they can dry out pretty quickly. Also you can get the effect of "non bite through skin" with out the skin as the top dries out.

We try not to get as aggressive on the trim as bigger pieces can cook longer (we go 6 to a box and it fills the box). Season both sides, and in an aluminum pan with butter 30 min uncovered, base with the butter from the pan, cover and another 20-30. We were looking to pull at 165. Cooking at 275 in a WSM.

Funny part is almost nobody realized that we were skinless unless we said something.

I have not tried this method, but I heard a pretty good cook say that if you want to use skinless thighs, just leave the skin on during most of the cook so that the texture will still be nice, then remove the skin and perhaps re-season towards the end of the cook.
It might be worth a try...

Just my .02

I am a relatively new cook so take this for what it is worth. Chicken was killing me my first two comps. I took the attitude of what can I 100% not screw up that might score average. I decided the answer was skinless thighs. I cooked top down in butter, then flipped add added rub to create almost a fake skin before covering. It accomplished my goal of a middle of the road score that didn't kill my chances of a top 10 finish.

Hi hittman,

I do skinless and boneless chicken for competition. Still not happy with appearance (must practice on sauce and form).

Total scores from last three comps were:

still much to tweak and learn. but for tenderness i only have 8s and 9s, mainly 9. Still have to find the taste of the judges :idea:

Attachments

• 18238709_1798120170204296_1084296231474793333_o.jpg
    18238709_1798120170204296_1084296231474793333_o.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 600
Yeah they will actually be tougher than skin on thighs, the outer layer just dries out and doesn't have time to develope any traditional bark.

I think leaving the skin on during the cook before removing it would be best option, although you'll lack a lot of flavour that way...

Why not learn the "secrets" of skin-on instead? :razz:

I've done boneless, skinless thighs and pulled them for underneath the regular six pieces with some success. I like to eat pulled chicken thighs!

I would be afraid not having the skin on would make the judge assume you were not able to make bite thru skin (questioning your mastery of your pit). Judges are not supposed to score based on whether or not the skin is there but I can't help but think it would be stuck in the back of their minds when the pen hits the paper.

Anybody try boneless, skin on? I have a hell of a time with trimming. Seems it would be easier to debone and square up.

A lot of teams cook boneless thighs in Europe. And they look uniform and pretty. Can't comment how they are doing with them, though.

Did this exact same thing last year and went from lower 3rd of scores to top half.
I am a relatively new cook so take this for what it is worth. Chicken was killing me my first two comps. I took the attitude of what can I 100% not screw up that might score average. I decided the answer was skinless thighs. I cooked top down in butter, then flipped add added rub to create almost a fake skin before covering. It accomplished my goal of a middle of the road score that didn't kill my chances of a top 10 finish.

Back