• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> SPECIAL*** "COMFORT FOOD!"*** Throwdown(Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new November Special TD category is...

Comfort Food!

1880586_silverfinger.jpg

This was Silverfinger's winning entry in the 2011 "Cheese" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. This is an open category, meaning you can cook anything you like that conforms to the category.

Standard Throwdown rules apply.

3. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/31 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/1/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/1.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Official Entry

Please accept this as an official entry in the "Comfort Food" TD

These have all the things that just scream comfort and goodness!
Oysters, cheese, butter, garlic. Seasoned to taste and Oh Sooooo Gooooood!

The full cook can be found here
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3087897#post3087897

Please use this for the entry photo
View attachment 103778

After eating these I am so comfortable that I don’t know what else to do!

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
So this morning I had a lady friend over. I decided that I wanted to show off my prowess in the kitchen. I had some roasted sweet potatoes I did on the kettle from Saturday's dinner. I made a quick puree with the sweet potatoes to add into my cinnamon rolls recipe.

I wish I had more pictures of the process, but I was a little busy trying to impress someone at the time.

Please accept this as an official entry to the comfort food throw down. Sweet potato/pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls with salted caramel icing.
YTCFe59.jpg

So this morning I had a lady friend over. I decided that I wanted to show off my prowess in the kitchen. I had some roasted sweet potatoes I did on the kettle from Saturday's dinner. I made a quick puree with the sweet potatoes to add into my cinnamon rolls recipe.

I wish I had more pictures of the process, but I was a little busy trying to impress someone at the time.

Please accept this as an official entry to the comfort food throw down. Sweet potato/pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls with salted caramel icing.
YTCFe59.jpg

I realized that I didn't post the recipe for people that wanted to try it. Here it is.

Dough -
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 full stick of butter (cubed small)
Optional - 1 cup pumpkin puree, can also use sweet potato or acorn/butternut squash. If you do this, you might have to add a little bit more flour or buttermilk/milk

Mix dry ingredients together. Once combined add the cubed butter (want the butter super cold and hard) and fork it till combined.

Mix wet ingredients together till nice and smooth. Then add to the dry ingredients and need till thoroughly combined. You might need to add a little flour to keep it from sticking to the countertop and finger tips.

Roll out to a thing sheet.

Cinnamon Filling
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
Optional - 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon all spice, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all ingredients till mixed up.

Melt 1/2 stick of butter and spread over the rolled out dough. Put the filling over from edge to edge of the butter dough. Roll dough up into a log and cut into even rolls. Place on a buttered baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until done (15-25mins depending on how you like the interior)

Frosting was store bought, that my roommate had opened and I just used what was left. Creamcheese frosting also works really well.

Official entry: Kettle Smoked French Onion Soup

Official entry, last pic for entry, please.

What's more comforting than a nice bowl of soup?

started with some onions (~2.5 lbs or so), peeled, and onto the kettle over some RO lump with some pecan chips, and the onion skins of course
4B646A87-1718-4E2E-AFC5-49D31861E156_zpsefq58qj8.jpg

Let them get happy for a bit
0C91195F-DE62-4324-BD82-E5708E1F692F_zps8vvplvyh.jpg

the sliced them up with a shallot
E3A96A90-A6DE-4514-B60F-4741B99F2B7F_zpsaveino5u.jpg

started with some butter in the DO, and the shallot first for a bit
93AAB455-44A4-470D-BA03-C931264EB269_zpsemsvqsi2.jpg

Added the onions to the party, seasoned with some salt and pepper
58BFFEE2-E349-4ACB-8EF5-3D0C774A098B_zpsf9vr3a2q.jpg

let it all do it's thing for a while on med-lowish heat
DCBA1265-822E-4A60-91C5-D0558E4163E7_zpsm6elfyar.jpg

Added some beef stock, seasoned with a bit of thyme, brought up to a boil, and simmered for a bit
97A7EE7B-0FE6-4A34-916C-1F1DED287108_zpsczoe9m7g.jpg

Finished it by adding in a slice of french bread (buttered, with garlic salt and toasted), provolone, and under the broiler for a few mins
Ended up with this:
0B2D67F4-7B48-440A-B97C-A3562AF94E7B_zpspgj6ktgv.jpg

It certainly hit the spot...both bowls :whoo:

This is an entry...

A little comfort food for a chilly and windy night.

Stuffed Pork Loin Chops with Corn Bread Stuffing and Haricot Vert with a little Pork Gravy

A local store had some nice, thick center cut pork loin chops on sale so I grabbed a couple. I also grabbed some corn bread stuffing mix to have on the side. As I was getting ready to cook I decided to stuff the chops instead, so I sliced into the middle of each chop to make a pocket. The pocket was then filled with the stuffing and I use some toothpicks to hold it closed.

Then I gave the outside of the chops a light coat of olive oil and a dusting of Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning and let them site for a bit while the grill came up to temp.

Once the grill was ready I grilled the chops for about 12 minutes per side, rotating 90 degrees half way through on each side. It's hard to get nice grill marks with something that is plump from the stuffing :-D

15726970121_12530b9886_c.jpg

Once they were done I let them rest for a few minutes while I cooked some Haricot Vert from Trader Joe's to go with the chops. A little pork gravy topped the chops.

15726969951_7536cf3f34_c.jpg

15543005009_105d96e9e5_c.jpg

Please use this picture for the poll ^^^^

The stuffing gave the pork a nice flavor and helped keep it moist and tender.

Throwing in another entry.

Cook thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200554

Pork shoulder (butt and picnic) trimmed up and ready to go on the smoker. This aint no rub and smoke, this is traditional NC BBQ.
KulRMvc.jpg

1.5 hours on the smoker at 325 with Hickory, with no rub, it was go time with the salt.
Y7sg3FR.jpg

t6nWhnF.jpg

4 hours in.
bgTBCVD.jpg

hdeI6A4.jpg

6 hours in with wampus beans under. **Please use this as my official picture entry**
gRxplJy.jpg

Pulling the bone out of the picnic.
ySFYdz0.jpg

Traditional NC Chopped bbq, with Carolina finishing sauce added in (ACV, crushed red pepper, salt, turbinado sugar)
rlFWNd4.jpg

The spread with smoked mac and cheese, wampus beans, carolina bbq and coleslaw.
RQLrRtA.jpg

The fat kid plate shot.
RwJo1bG.jpg

Offical Entry

Please accept this as an official entry in the "Comfort Food" TD

What could be more comforting than a Smoked Razor Clam Chowder cooked in a dutch oven on the camp fire! Then hanging out at the camp fire and enjoying the evening!

The full cook is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3098349#post3098349

Please use this as the entry shot

View attachment 104245

We had a great time making this and really enjoyed the camp fire!

Thanks for Lookin!

Last edited:
Back