After our first couple of fights...I found out she's sweet! First cook on the UDS

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After a rough morning, with some great help from the brethren, I wrestled the UDS under control..Once the fire really got going and temps stabilized, she performed real well...constant temps of about 225-235 for hours with out any trouble..:mrgreen:
I'd like to take time to thank those who put their time, effort, and valuable information out to the brethren on the UDS threads..I for one never would have thought this possible....This is pure genius!
I tried to follow the 3-2-1 method for the baby-backs, but got called away(had to pick up the wife), and by the time I got back the ribs had been foiled for almost 2 1/2 hours. When I unwrapped them and tried to put them back on the grill they literally fell apart....A little over done...But they were good., The 6lb butt took about 8 hours to reach 190-195ish and felt like melted butter when I probed her..Had a plate full of ribs, red potatoes and green beans, and salad fixin's fresh from our(the wife's)garden. It was all pretty dang tasty...The only thing was It seemed to have a hint of bitterness to it?...Maybe my rub....Maybe cause I was fightin her at first? Or maybe...I don't know?...

Thanks for makin' this happen brethren!....She's sweet!:icon_cool
And yea it's still me doin the photography..sorry if they're fuzzy.

Firecrackerjack

007-4.jpg

011-5.jpg

013-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

022-3.jpg

037-4.jpg

039-1.jpg

033-2.jpg

Nice. Garden season is the best time of the year. Its the only time when you can have an almost unlimited amount of colors from veggies on a plate.

Tuck

Wow!!! Nice looking meat there. I see the wife has a nice green thumb. I love my Que, but I also love my fresh from the garden maters,cukes and stuff. And that is a nice lookin smoker. As for the bitterness, Mind ya I don't have all the facts, but it sounds like your first use of it. Maybe it hadn't been seasoned enough, the UDS I ment.

Looks good. The bitterness could be due to excess smoke or the burnt sugar in your rub.

I don't know but was wondering the same kind of thing...I off to read more in the uds thread to see if any one might have had the same problem.
Thanks for the suggestion:confused:

Wow!!! Nice looking meat there. I see the wife has a nice green thumb. I love my Que, but I also love my fresh from the garden maters,cukes and stuff. And that is a nice lookin smoker. As for the bitterness, Mind ya I don't have all the facts, but it sounds like your first use of it. Maybe it hadn't been seasoned enough, the UDS I ment.

How did you know I had sugar in my rub?:grin: It did smoke quite a bit especially at first..I was suprised because I went back in and took alot of the wood back out so mostly it was lump and a few briquetts...Was worried it was the barrel though is that possible?:cry:

firecrackerjack

Looks good. The bitterness could be due to excess smoke or the burnt sugar in your rub.

Good advice. Was it a rub you have tried on other smokers? was there anything else different from your other smokes? The drum shouldn't add bitterness.

the meat is beautiful..I loved seeing that clean blade from the butt...looks like it was butta tender. Great work! I would gladly take any leftovers just to make sure it's OK. ;)

Forgot to mention... That's no ugly drum..that paint job is too purty to be called ugly. Nice work!

yeah, i had some troubles with bitterness...mine own testing, on my Q, was easily attributed to too much smoke. I use apple (yard has an orchard), and i found that less is best. Pork tastes great...let your rub do the talking and savor the 'subtle smoke'
That is just me and on my cooker.

i love your UDS...not ugly at all.

Any one know any place to find some good plans for a home made horizontal off set, or double barrel?

Yea I've used that rub before, and never really noticed that bitterness..
This burn I didnt' achieve alot of smoke flavor because I was fightin with her early..Panicked and took a lot of the wood back out thinking it was wet. Maybe the smoke flavor covered up some of the bitterness in the past?....I burned the drum pretty hot. then seasoned it(let her run at about 280 on the thermometer) with a 8 - 10 hour burn...all the hardware was stainless, and nothing was plated or anything like that...But the taste was almost metalic..Maybe I'm just freakin out.

firecrackerjack:icon_smil

Good advice. Was it a rub you have tried on other smokers? was there anything else different from your other smokes? The drum shouldn't add bitterness.

the meat is beautiful..I loved seeing that clean blade from the butt...looks like it was butta tender. Great work! I would gladly take any leftovers just to make sure it's OK. ;)

I went into my first UDS cook with the same amount of wood that I was used to using on my offset. I didn't think it was a metallic taste but I thought something was off. A pm from Norco and a couple of cooks taught me that less wood chunks are required on my UDS especially with a hickory or mesquite. I still prefer pork on my offset even though I absolutely love brisket and ribs from the UDS. I was born and raised in eastern NC where pork BBQ is king but smoke rings and smoke flavoring in pork are NOT. The guys at work love the pork from my UDS but I do not. Could just be a taste thing too.

It looks good to me. When I get bitterness, I tend to think too much smoke.

Well I used a fair amount of wood both maple and mesquite...But when I had trouble with white smoke at first I pulled most of it out thinking it was wet...There was still some mesquite left deep down in the coals...I didn't even think the fire was going to burn enough fuel to even reach it...but maybe that's what it was?

firecrackerjack

Well I used a fair amount of wood both maple and mesquite...But when I had trouble with white smoke at first I pulled most of it out thinking it was wet...There was still some mesquite left deep down in the coals...I didn't even think the fire was going to burn enough fuel to even reach it...but maybe that's what it was?

firecrackerjack

I'd say that the mesquite was your problem. Too oily, heavy smoke. 3 or 4 chunks of the maple should be just fine.

Nice looking UDS! I've got an old molasses barrel in my back yard just begging to be converted. I've been staying up late nights reading the monstrous UDS thread... it's almost time!

3-2-1 is too long in a UDS for ribs. St Louis cuts i usually go 2-2.5/.75/1. Baby backs less. I have been skipping the foil and been pulling somewhere around 4 when they pass the bend test.

Nice stuff, seems like when I use charcoal I always taste some thing off. I think all women are related, seems like every time I start to cook my wife wants me to run off somewhere and it's always for more then 1 hour. My food is over done or my UDS temp has gone bad.

Back