USA-made pellet smoker deserving of wider recognition

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When I retired recently my wife could tell I wasn't interested in one of the import pellet cookers, so she got me a unit made right here in town, not thirty minutes from our house.

How is this solid wood pellet smoker not more widely known?

Features:

• Made in Boise, Idaho
  • 11-gauge cook chamber
  • Short auger with geared motor
  • Yoder/Louisiana-style burn grate and fire pot designed to give the best possible smoke profile
  • Programmed for holding extremely steady temps anywhere from 150ºF to 550ºF
  • Smart controller that adjusts for outdoor temps
  • Ash clean out door

thumbnail_IMG_2028.jpg

I see this is your first post here at the Brethren. Welcome!! And welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :)

Last edited:
Between snows, I managed to cook a tri-tip for California tacos.

For me a "California" taco is a small flour tortilla stuffed with smoked/seared tri-tip, guacamole, pico de gallo, and spritzed with lime juice. Simple and yummy.

Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic. 225ºF till probe said 135ºF (about an hour and a half), then indoors to the oven set at 550ºF for ten minutes.

thumbnail_IMG_5192.jpg

Thanks for introducing us to this cooker! Welcome in. I enjoy pellet cooking as well as many others here.. I think that your California taco is my idea of the way to eat a taco!

The tri-tip looks delicious. Congrats on the new smoker.

I have heard of Outlaw before and the great lake bbq association did a raffle for stick burner this year. Glad to hear more about them

I have heard of Outlaw before and the great lake bbq association did a raffle for stick burner this year. Glad to hear more about them

Is this the same outlaw smokers that does the horizontal offsets? If so those are some sweet looking stick burners. This is also a good looking rugged pellet smoker. Congrats and welcome to the Brethren!

Time and use will tell how this cooker stacks up with others, smoke profile produced being of high importance. Looks to be a well built smoker. CS matters a lot as well, but like I said, time will tell.

The Outlaw I got is a wood pellet smoker made by Sawtooth/Outlaw Smokers/need2grill in Boise, ID. Unfortunately there are now two small companies in the backyard cooking arena with the same name. The other is in Mentone, IN, and makes stick burners exclusively I think. Kind of confusing when googling.

Boise, ID:

https://www.outlawsmokers.com/

Mentone, IN:

https://outlawbbqsmokers.com/

Time and use will tell how this cooker stacks up with others, smoke profile produced being of high importance.

Indeed. The designer, Nelson White, who has a degree in Physics, likes to mention "smoke profile" as his primary engineering aim. That, and how his target customer isn't someone moving from a propane grill to a pellet cooker in search of a little smoke flavor but someone moving from an offset to a pellet cooker for the convenience--and because in some regions pellets are easier to come by than post oak sticks--while hoping to keep the smoke flavor of the offset.

I can't wait to get the other side of this Idaho winter and do a bunch of cooks to evaluate this new pit . . . (cough) for science!

Last edited:
In my searching for pellet smoker purchase recently, my son told me about his friend in Houston that has an Outlaw Pellet Smoker just like that one pictured. His friend thought it was a great smoker.

In my searching for pellet smoker purchase recently, my son told me about his friend in Houston that has an Outlaw Pellet Smoker just like that one pictured. His friend thought it was a great smoker.

He's gotta be a brave man to put a pellet cooker in his backyard in Houston, even a good pellet cooker! Ha!

Update. This little unit is checking all the boxes. I might fiddle with a smoke tube at some point, but maybe not. Pork and beef flavor is great.

Last edited:
I'm finding this to be an outstanding feature. Every now and then I'll pull the grates and grease tray out for a deep clean--maybe this summer sometime if I get around to it. Meanwhile, this door makes routine ash removal (necessary for reliable operation of any pellet cooker) so much easier than with other pellet units I've run!

Back