• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

DQ'd? Shouldn't you have just received a taste 1 and tenderness 1 from any judges that were not able to get a sample?

Well, I guess it wasn't DQ'd.....it might as well have been.....we recieved 1's across the board for appearance and all 1's from the one judge that didn't get a sample.

The reps went strictly by the book and were very proffesional about it.

I never have figured out why you should recieve 1's for appearance for having
2 ribs that are not completely cut apart. I don't see it being an appearance issue because you can't tell that they aren't completely cut through by veiwing it for appearance. Just when the judge is removing a sample.

On the other hand, I fully understand and agree with recieving all 1's from the judge who didn't recieve a sample.

I guess it's just punitive in nature, no other legitimate reason that I can think of.

But, the rules is the rules............Live and Learn.......

I hope someone else can learn what NOT to do from my mistake.........

From the KCBS rules........#12

Judges may not cut, slice, or shake apart to separate pieces. (If there is not
enough meat for each judge to sample, the shorted judge(s)
will score a one (1) on all criteria, and the judges having
samples will change the Appearance score to one (1).)

Great fun!

I've changed computers since we started competing in 2004, but I have the pics saved on a disk....give me a bit to find them.....I think I've got a few doozies to share....:eek::oops::mrgreen::wink:

Unlike Scottie, whos NEVER had a bad box, I can't say that for the Bellys! :twisted:

Here you go - First contest WOW!

The ribs actualyl placed 12th - the pork was 32 out of 35 and the Brisket was 34 (someone got DQ).

MMM tasty.

Attachments

• Jul30_05_tm.jpg
    Jul30_05_tm.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 3,009
  • Jul30_06_tm.jpg
    Jul30_06_tm.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,995
  • Jul30_07_tm.jpg
    Jul30_07_tm.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,990
Here you go - First contest WOW!

The ribs actualyl placed 12th - the pork was 32 out of 35 and the Brisket was 34 (someone got DQ).

MMM tasty.

You remember our first KCBS contest... Marshall 2002. What a dismal showing.

You remember our first KCBS contest... Marshall 2002. What a dismal showing.

That's because you did not show until 3:00 am to cook, and if I remember right, you left the propane hose in the hot box.

Other than that it was a good time.

This was from a backyard contest in Brookline, NH this year. Our very first. Things have gotten better since then (I hope).

Attachments

• 1st ribs.JPG
    1st ribs.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 2,975
Thankfully, we didn't take pics of our entries for the first 4 years else these wouldn't qualify as our worst. :shock:

Attachments

• brisket_large.jpg
    brisket_large.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,973
  • Lawrence Pork_large.jpg
    Lawrence Pork_large.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,971
  • Lawrence Chicken_large.jpg
    Lawrence Chicken_large.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4,403
  • ribs_large.jpg
    ribs_large.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,982
Ummm...what animal is this from?

attachment.php

Oh Yeah...top this

This past weekend I wasn't paying attention and somehow a rubber glove was left in my rib box....:icon_sick

Great thread!

Chad is gonna kill me, but here goes!
Our very first FBA comp at Mulberry in 2004.
We were expecting to win it all! :oops:

I am especially proud of those ribs. :wink:

And, if I remember correctly, we were 13th of 31 teams with these entries. :-D

We have learned a lot since then.

All joking aside, the ONLY comp experience that we had was one event where Dave went to NY and cooked with Phil in the real early days of the BBQ Brethren comp teams.
That is why we now recommend "mentoring", "classes", "judging", and any exposure that a team can get before laying it on the line!!!!

Like I said---great thread!!!

TIM

Attachments

• Brisket.jpg
    Brisket.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,966
  • Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,960
  • Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,968
  • pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,957
Great thread all. Makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that if I ever got a chance to compete and really screw it up, just move on and try again.

That would be some not so award winning yardbird.:icon_bugeyed

My attorneys will be contacting you about using the term Yardbird in association with that box. :cool:

Disclaimer: The product displayed in the above picture is not endorsed by Plowboys BBQ or Plowboys Food, LLC. :wink: When preparing BBQ, please drink responsibly.

This is a classic thread!!! What a bunch of crappy boxes! Kind of fun to look back and have a good laugh at yourself. Like Kapn said, we all expected to win it all with these entries.

I only wish I could add several of the boxes I saw as a judge last weekend... some horrendous boxes in ribs and brisket especially!

ribbox.jpg

For this one, we actually got all 9's in appearance, and Ribberfest in 2005... Those judges were blind!
chixbox.jpg

chickenturnin.jpg

grchickbox.jpg

grribbox.jpg

There's more, but I must stop!

OK, pork, brisket, ribs...I can see where we all faulter but WTF do some people do to their chicken thighs?!?! I mean, they start off almost how they look in the end as far as shape. Mista, did you walk on your thighs with golf cleats? LOL!! Great thread!!

50th place pork from last weekend...

Attachments

• Viejas Pork.jpg
    Viejas Pork.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,951
Those weren't my thighs. I was inquiring about someone elses.

Back