• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's your number one bbq / grilling no no?

Not to long ago we had a little get-to-gether for 30-40 highschoolers at the farm. I had a hot pit from doing briskets & butts all day and just wanted to trow some chicken quarters on for a couple hours to round out the menu but when I pulled it out at the appointed time it was still partially frozen. I said what the hay, seasoned it up and me the DA threw it on. WTF:doh: There was so much moisture still held in the partially frozen 1/4's it started to "rain" in the pit then instantly hit the hot RF plate and turned into an UGLY steam/smoke that I could not control and could not get the pit back to temp for an hour. What a friggin mess; the 1/4's cooked but had a "black sooty" appearance that wiped off as soon as you touched it and the skin was the consistency of a rubber glove. I was to embarrased to serve it and to cheap to pitch it so it went into a pan and back into the fridge. Couple days later, wiped off all the gunk, stripped of the skin and broke down all the useable meat. Wife used some in an enchilada pie (pretty darn tasty) and the rest went to chicken salad (not bad at all). Lesson learned, gonna make darn sure chicks are fully defrosted and dried out in the future!

Besides running out of beer... Rushing the cook to serve at a set time. It's done when it's done. That said, I'm not cooking for cash or fame, so I can be late once in a while.

The biggest lesson I had to learn was it's done when it's done. Time management and a Thermapen changed my BBQ would for the better.

Not to be an a-hole but couldn't you have kept a back-up tank of propane just like you keep a stack of lump now so you dont run out? Just wondering

I was at my dad's this weekend and we fired up his gasser for burgers...for about 2 minutes until the tank was empty. Backup tank empty. I asked him, "Dad, isn't there a natural gas line out here? Why do you use propane?" Blank stare. Love ya, dad. :doh:

I don't really have any true no nos. Sure, I won't use matchlight most of the time, but I have a smokey joe at my store that I cook lunch on every once in a while, and, well, I'm in a shirt and tie. I use matchlight. You won't catch it at my house, though.

I have lots of these "half rules" for things I'll only do in a certain situation. However, if I had to have one no no, it's never say, "You can't grill/smoke that!" because you can, and it will probably be awesome!

No wet wood.

NEVER tend the fire barefoot. Hot embers/coals somehow make their way to places they are not supposed to be.:scared::Cry:

Don't mash the juices out the burger . . . ever! I'm also on the no lighter fluid group

I dont ever judge the smoker, gas, charcoal or pellet pooper. I judge the food itself.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I wish more folks around here did that instead of bashing the other guy's smoker.

My biggest no no is don't chase the temperatures. I see a lot of post on here from guys struggling to maintain a constant temperature and they end up making adjustment after adjustment without giving the smoker time to settle in after the previous adjustment.

Never EVER Hijack another guys Q unless you are asked. Last summer saw the same guy at 2 different get togethers walk in and take over. He just made things worse.

Never EVER Hijack another guys Q unless you are asked. Last summer saw the same guy at 2 different get togethers walk in and take over. He just made things worse.

worse...meaning it wasnt going right in the first place?:bolt:

Stressing about it.....best thing I learned here was to chill and then chill some more. Q is supposed to lower ones blood pressure.....except for the cholesterol part.

Back