Modified chest freezer for holding

Chrome Dome

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wanted to share an idea I had last year that has been working very well.

I have an 84" Lang Deluxe on a wide body trailer that I use for my nonprofit. The first year I used coolers for transporting and holding product. I had to pull a temporary food permit for each fundraising event, and was subject to inspection. I had the idea of getting a refrigerator, but since this is a volunteer and 'on the side' project, wasn't going to drop the money for a commercial unit.

I did some research, and bought a 7 cu foot chest freezer. I then bought a temperature regulator (often used for kegerators), that will maintain a temp with up to a three degree temp variance. I put the freezer on my trailer and set my temps (32 - 35 F). I buy my product and hold it at safe temp until ready to cook. If I don't have a power source, I use my propane generator. Since it's built as a freezer, it holds temp well, even when opening a few times. A bonus is, if I have extra, I bypass the regulator and let it freeze my extra product quickly and deeply. No need to buy ice and worry about anything getting soggy, and ultimately takes up less space for the quantity that I do.

I bought a second setup this year, and now use one for raw meats, and one for veggies or cooked meats.

Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control

Unithttp://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00368D6JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a secondary digital thermometer device to be extra careful I maintain safe temps, and this one has a reset button and retains the max and min temps of the freezer.

ACU_RITE Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer 00986

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Note: the links are through Amazon Smile, resulting in a .05% to my nonprofit. Not soliciting, just wanted transparency.)

Back