Multiple Meats for Catering. How Much of Each?

Sparkman

Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb on how much meat to prepare if you're cooking 2, 3, or 4 meats for an event? Please Help

Thanks,

The answer to this question is as hard to determine as predicting the winning lotto numbers. It will also vary depending on where you live and eating habits of your area along with how good your food is, are you rserving sandwiches or plated, etc. For instance if you make killer chicken vs just average then you may go through way more. I always have too much meat left over and still try to figure this out after several years in business but always worry about running out.

I figure 5oz pp for one meat and I'm in pork country so that is always the primary meat. If I add chicken to it I redue pork to 4oz and do 1pc chicken pp legs and thighs. If I do pork and brisket I do 4oz of each pp, all three meats and I do 4oz pork, 3 oz brisket, .75pc chicken pp. It's a work in progress to get amounts right without running out or having too much leftovers.

I agree with HBMTN, a lot has to do with what you do well, what folks expect and how they eat. Last year, we did a troop feed and figured 1/4 pound pork and one chicken breast per person, and it was perfect. Along with sides, that was one very full plate, but, these folks could put away the food. For a more mixed crowd, you are going to have fewer big eaters. When you get up to three or four meats, most people I know figure down to 1/5 pound (3-4 ounces) of each meat. And they run out, somehow it has become both acceptable and some kinda of weird mark of honor to run out of BBQ meats.

Thank you both. This helps a ton. I'm catering a 50 person gig and the organizer has asked me to do brisket and ribs. Brisket is my best meat.

So would you go with 4 oz. brisket pp?
And should I go with 2 or 3 rib bones pp?

I just catered a 50 person bday party (brisket and pork). I cooked two 15 pound briskets which yielded roughly 15 pounds (little over 1/4 per person) and four pork butts that yielded about 1/3 pd per person. I had a little leftover of each so I would say it was about perfect.

Thank you both. This helps a ton. I'm catering a 50 person gig and the organizer has asked me to do brisket and ribs. Brisket is my best meat.

So would you go with 4 oz. brisket pp?
And should I go with 2 or 3 rib bones pp?

Those numbers should be ok but when I cater ribs I specify to the client how many ribs they are getting and have them politely ask guests not to take more that the allotted amount per person until everyone has been through the buffet. If you don't people will fill plates with ribs.

Back