Looking at a new Shirley - NEED HELP

mbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After a month of reading threads, I finally clicked the Register button.

About me: Cook for 2-6 people, 2-3 times a month, for the past 3 years on a RecTec - I'm a Rookie (I've been cooking for much longer - grilling, frying, etc.). I love my RecTec. Easy to use and with the addition of my A-MAZE-N tube smoker, I get smoke flavor and a decent smoke ring. Also purchased a Fire Pit from Wilke's Bada** Pits (look them up) to cook over an open flame (makes great Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip).

What I "need": I say "need" because my wife doesn't think I need another toy. My first thought was to get an XL BGE, but it's also "too convenient" and perhaps too close to what I can do on my RecTec. I really want to learn the art of smoking. I looked at just about every Pitmaster I could find in Texas (Klose, Gator, East Texas, Jambo), and after my research, it seems like SF is the way to go (8-9 hour drive from Dallas, but it seems worth the trip). Due to my situation, I am looking at a 24x42 Patio Model (gives me the ability to cook for a large party, but also not too much of a fuel hog for when I cook for 2 people). Someday I would like to compete and would use this to do so. If this was a perfect world, I would quit corporate life and open a BBQ stand/food truck.

Hoping you can help:
- Do you think 24x42 Cabinet is the right size? Is the 24x36 too small (I don't know if I'll ever do a whole hog (50 lb.), but it sounds fun)
- Would you add a griddle top and direct access (from above) to the firebox (for searing a steak, hamburgers, etc.), or an attached warmer?
- Would you forego both of the above for a 3/8 firebox?
- Would you get the barrel single door (instead of the cabinet) to allow budget for upgraded firebox and griddle top or warmer?
- To save money for the above option (I am on a budget), I am thinking of ditching the pneumatic casters. Good idea or bad idea? I will have to roll this thing into my backyard and onto my Patio.
- For the quality AND cost, do you recommend another option in Texas over a SF?
- Any other advice or thoughts?

I have seen the SF options thread, and I want them all, but I have to stick within a budget (I'm not supposed to go over $2K).

Thanks everyone!

Call and talk to Tyler and Paul. They will walk you through it and you will get exactly what you need. Make sure you are ready to pull the trigger when you call! I haven't called because I know when I dial that number I will buy one!! And I don't have the money right now :(

cabinet doors....well worth it! makes life so easy, and when your old and frail(if you arent already lol) you will still be able to open and close it with ease. i would stick with what makes the thing easiest to roll around...its going to be incredibly heavy. i honestly dont think their prices can be beat, ESPECIALLY at that quality, that level of craftsmanship is going to be hard to beat at any price. Tyler and Paul are incredible people with the utmost respect for their customers and incredibly ethical and will do everything they can to help you stay within your budget!

these smokers are built like a tank and I do love my cabinet doors than the traditional because it allows more cooking space on your second shelf and the doors are so much easier to open and close . on the wheels I would get the best that they sell because these cooks are very heavy and hard to push unless your on a flat concrete surface .

Thank you for the feedback. I have only spoken with Paul and agree that he is a great guy - very impressed with him. Just wanted to get some thoughts from people on here. One thing I forgot above - extra probe holes to keep temp of the meat. I'm assuming its a mandatory option, and this may sound stupid, but will the holes let heat out?

I think if I where to get another smoker I would want a trailer model. I have a Stumps XL Baby and I say to myself it would be great to be on a trailer. If it is mobile you could try a comp or two. Pull it somewhere to do a cook for friends or family. Just another idea. I am sure they can put any size smoker on a trailer.

Thank you for the feedback. I have only spoken with Paul and agree that he is a great guy - very impressed with him. Just wanted to get some thoughts from people on here. One thing I forgot above - extra probe holes to keep temp of the meat. I'm assuming its a mandatory option, and this may sound stupid, but will the holes let heat out?

I like them and would get just one because I could fit at least four probe wires though one port and it leaks is minimal .

- Do you think 24x42 Cabinet is the right size? Is the 24x36 too small (I don't know if I'll ever do a whole hog (50 lb.), but it sounds fun) I would go with the 24x42 based on who you cook for, plus you'll have a little extra room.
- Would you add a griddle top and direct access (from above) to the firebox (for searing a steak, hamburgers, etc.), or an attached warmer? Get the warmer, damper system from firebox to cabinet, plus a searing station. I think that would be the most versatile. Plus you can cook in the warmer alone.
- Would you forego both of the above for a 3/8 firebox? Since you're in Texas, I think you could easily get away with the 1/4 inch firebox. I do like the 3/8 option for the added mass.
- Would you get the barrel single door (instead of the cabinet) to allow budget for upgraded firebox and griddle top or warmer? The cabinet doors are oh so nice. They are easy to open. Plus a little extra space and room to put a tray on top.
- To save money for the above option (I am on a budget), I am thinking of ditching the pneumatic casters. Good idea or bad idea? I will have to roll this thing into my backyard and onto my Patio. Nothing is done half way with these cookers. They are heavy. It would stink to get hard wagon wheels and then realize you need 3 friends to move it. Or it really tears up your yard.
- For the quality AND cost, do you recommend another option in Texas over a SF? Couldn't say.
- Any other advice or thoughts? I have ports for probes and have never used them. They don't really lose heat. I wish I had sausage hanging rods in the main chamber. I have them in my warmer, but would have picked up a lot more room having them in the chamber.

I would love to get a Trailer model, but the 4 ft is too wide to fit through the gate to my backyard, and it's too much above my budget :(.

@chicagokp - if you had to pick between the Cabinet Doors OR Warmer w/Damper System and searing station, what would you pick? My budget will likely make me pick one vs the other.

Thank you for the note on the 3/8 vs 1/4. I was worried about that, but it doesn't get below freezing here too often (and when it does I guess the fire will just need more attention).

CC size: remember you lose 10-12" for the rf opening. My 55" has 44" grates

Warmer: adds a 2nd and 3rd cooker, vertical cooker and high heat grill.

Firebox: get the 1/4" and maybe add an ash pan to help the bottom last longer.

Cabinet doors: get them if you can, great option and you will not regret it.

Wheels: depends on how often you are going to move it. I had a 24x30 with casters and it was a pita to move thru grass.

Imo you won't find a better deal than SF.

If you are trying to save some $$ ask about using a propane tank. I would get at least 1 probe port. They don't leak much. I cover mine with a piece of foil when I'm not using them and i'm sure a coin would completely seal it if it was placed between the nut and rubber piece. Get your deposit in ASAP. That 6 month wait will give you plenty of time to decide on options and maybe save up a few more $$.

@chicagokp - if you had to pick between the Cabinet Doors OR Warmer w/Damper System and searing station, what would you pick? My budget will likely make me pick one vs the other.

Thank you for the note on the 3/8 vs 1/4. I was worried about that, but it doesn't get below freezing here too often (and when it does I guess the fire will just need more attention).

I don't think that's an easy choice to make at all.

Cabinet Doors - Easy to open. You'll get a little more room on the top shelf since the top is flat. I think this feature, along with the craftsmanship really sets these smokers apart from others.

Warmer w/Damper and sear station - Having this really adds to the versatility of your smoker. I like being able to cook in the warmer or holding already cooked meats in it. I think the searing station in the firebox is a pretty low cost option to add.

If I absolutely had to choose, I would probably go with the cabinet doors. You have a bunch of other cookers and this being a patio, you can hold food in your oven. A 42 inch is a decent door to pick up, even with a counter weight. The ease of cabinet doors and extra space I think pushes me there first.

I have a trailer, so having the warmer was key to being able to hold meat when I'm not cooking at home. Plus the other benefits of cooking in it. Those are my thoughts off the cuff, maybe someone else has a different opinion that might sway me the other way. Bottom line, you'll need to weight these points out yourself and figure out what makes the most sense for you.

If you absolutely had to pick the doors or the warmer/dampers I would get the warmer/dampers since that give a lot more cooking options. On a cooker that size the traditional door won't be that heavy.

And you don't need the 3/8. Save the money. My first was a 24x60 and had zero issue running in cold temps. Even my larger cooker with the 1/4" doesn't mind the cold. And that 3/8 isn't giving you that much more temp holding ability with burning less wood.

Jason is right about the fb. If it's not insulated it's not going to make enough difference to justify the extra $$. I agree with selling another toy to get the Shirley right. If it's going to be your last big cooker then I would do all I could to have no regrets...well within reason.:wink:

I'm with Jason also. I would pick the warmer over the cabinet doors. For the same reason as the door would not be that heavy. If you could go 50 inches on the chamber yours grates would be about 40 inches long. The Shirley's have been doing some nice 24 x 50 models latley.

I myself would pick similar to chicagokp for the reasons he already stated above. But agree with everyone on saving $$ to get both if at all possible.

Jason is right about the fb. If it's not insulated it's not going to make enough difference to justify the extra $$. I agree with selling another toy to get the Shirley right. If it's going to be your last big cooker then I would do all I could to have no regrets...well within reason.:wink:

I agree completely,even if you have wait a while.

Back