Time to start the fall warm you up comfort food. What do you make?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Today was a 40s damp nasty day so my wife made her baked mac and cheese with stewed tomatoes for first time this season which is a great warm you up comfort meal.

What do you guys like to make as warm you up comfort food when the winter months approach?

The three pieces of brisket on the left is for my dogs. They lay patiently on the floor without begging so I do give them little treats.

A good dog is even better than a good meal.

I make meat loaf and braised dishes. Tonight is lamb shanks but instead of smoking I decided to Instant Pot them.

That lamb sounds excellent! Pretty soon it will be time to make a good lamb stew!

Big pot of turkey noodle soup tonight from leftover turkey bones. I really like chili and beans and cornbread when the weather gets cold.

About time for the first batch of chili. NO BEANS. Might also make a batch of pork green chili, made that earlier for a TD it was pert darned good.

I LOVE chicken pot pies and chicken and dumplings when the weather cools a bit. My wife is onboard for the pies, not so much for the dumplings, so I don't get that as often. My wife has a salisbury steak type of recipe that she makes and it definitely beats any of the frozen ones from the grocery store.
I have a pot of brisket chili on as I type, and that will be coming up in a separate post.

About time for the first batch of chili. NO BEANS. Might also make a batch of pork green chili, made that earlier for a TD it was pert darned good.

Chili...WITH BEANS :biggrin1:, chile colorado or verde, caldo de albondigas, red chile pork neckbones over spaghetti, hobo stew, caldillo, caldo de rez, chicken green chile casserole, shepard's pie, menudo, tamales, lots of soupy sopa dishes, goulash type dishes, chicken leg soup with lots of veggies and egg noodles, ENCHILADAS......my kids love soupy dishes, so pretty much anything. A good potato soup with bacon. Now I'm hungry!

Hamburger steak, El Paso, Greasy Diner Style!!! OMG.

Bob

Soups, stews, chowder, pot pies, mac n cheese, it's all good and perfect for the Fall and Winter seasons! I made a New England Fish Chowder last weekend.

Here's a Chicken Noodle Soup I made yesterday. My wife's normally the Soup Lady, but I knew she'd be a bit under the weather after some dental work so I took over the soup making chore for the day.

Bone-in chicken breasts seasoned with Yardbird out on the Weber, diced up including the crispy skin which is where all the flavor is and into the soup pot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic and eventually the noodles. I know a lot of recipes boil the chicken in the water but we're all lucky enough on this forum to know there's a better way. :wink:

icq3FeQ.jpg

No wimpy bowls of soup in my house. And I got a big thumbs up from my wife. She may not give up her title but at least she knows I can make a good bowl of soup.

Soups, stews, chowder, pot pies, mac n cheese, it's all good and perfect for the Fall and Winter seasons! I made a New England Fish Chowder last weekend.

Here's a Chicken Noodle Soup I made yesterday. My wife's normally the Soup Lady, but I knew she'd be a bit under the weather after some dental work so I took over the soup making chore for the day.

Bone-in chicken breasts seasoned with Yardbird out on the Weber, diced up including the crispy skin which is where all the flavor is and into the soup pot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic and eventually the noodles. I know a lot of recipes boil the chicken in the water but we're all lucky enough on this forum to know there's a better way. :wink:

icq3FeQ.jpg

No wimpy bowls of soup in my house. And I got a big thumbs up from my wife. She may not give up her title but at least she knows I can make a good bowl of soup.

That’s a great looking soup! Now I have a hankering for a good chicken noodle soup.

My wife makes it using all of the chicken including the innards. It took me a while to get used to eating the innards in the soup when we first got married, but they actually make the broth taste better and now they are the first pieces if put in my bowl.

Definitely brisket chili and some crock pot english cut roasts with the cream of mushroom soup and liptons french onion, mashed taters

Back