cleanest burning non-stick burner?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i want a non stick burner that burns pure blue smoke. i love my stick burner but sometimes i want to set and forget. my wsm is the ultimate set and forget but... sometimes it can produce a little too much smoke while you sleep. i know nothing can touch the smoothness of a stick burner but whats the second best?

Your WSM- and use less (or a lighter flavored) wood?

Maybe wrap at the beginning so it does not pick up as much smoke- and unwrap mid cook?

I keep hearing that pellet grills give a lighter smoke profile- you might look into one of those?

i want a non stick burner that burns pure blue smoke. i love my stick burner but sometimes i want to set and forget. my wsm is the ultimate set and forget but... sometimes it can produce a little too much smoke while you sleep. i know nothing can touch the smoothness of a stick burner but whats the second best?

What brand charcoal are you using in the WSM? What variety and size of wood are you using?

What brand charcoal are you using in the WSM? What variety and size of wood are you using?

I use B&B, cowboy, and lumberjack lump. I rarely use briquettes but when I do I'll use the B&B. For chunks I just use the standard industry size.... Nothing huge or too small I would say 3x2. I'm not saying that the WSM doesn't have a good clean cook it's just not as good as my stick burner.

I'm sure you've considered this but for longer cooks maybe start with the offset until you get the color/condition you want then after you wrap throw in another cooking vessel to finish.

I have a 270 smoker that runs on lump. I put a few chunks in when I first start. If I don't add more as I go along there is almost no smoke flavor at all. It settles in at temp and stays there until the coals get low. I can hook you up with a nice used one cheap.

Last edited:
I have a 270 smoker that runs on lump. I put a few chunks in when I first start. If I don't add more as I go along there is almost no smoke flavor at all. It settles in at temp and stays there until the coals get low. I can hook you up with a nice used one cheap.

I'm definitely interested. Where you located? I know the Atlanta barbecue store outside of Athens sells these but I have no experience with them

I'm definitely interested. Where you located? I know the Atlanta barbecue store outside of Athens sells these but I have no experience with them

Jackson,Tn. On I-40, halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

I use B&B, cowboy, and lumberjack lump. I rarely use briquettes but when I do I'll use the B&B. For chunks I just use the standard industry size.... Nothing huge or too small I would say 3x2. I'm not saying that the WSM doesn't have a good clean cook it's just not as good as my stick burner.

The difference is burning wood vs. smoldering wood. Period.

Atlanta is in the middle of some of the best Gravity Feed smoker manufacturers there are. You have Assassin, Deep South, Southern Q and Stumps all within an hour or so of Atlanta. I’d check them all out.

My Southern Q can lay the smoke on light or strong, depending on what I am after. The others I am sure can as well. All super well made cooking machines. Combined with a temp controller, they are super easy to run, but offer the flexibility to tend the fire a little more if desired.

Atlanta is in the middle of some of the best Gravity Feed smoker manufacturers there are. You have Assassin, Deep South, Southern Q and Stumps all within an hour or so of Atlanta. I’d check them all out.

My Southern Q can lay the smoke on light or strong, depending on what I am after. The others I am sure can as well. All super well made cooking machines. Combined with a temp controller, they are super easy to run, but offer the flexibility to tend the fire a little more if desired.

A gravity cooker is a great transition from a stick burner. It's the closest you can get in my opinion. I know some of the cabinet folks are pretty passionate about their smoke profile, too.

I love my pellet, but the profile is NOT the same as an offset.

Pellet grills. Period!

when I had the offset I burned a very clean fire. if I would compare the two cookers and say they produce similar results compared charcoal based units. light smoke and good bark created by high airflow.

maybe it was just how I ran my fire, no smoke really leaves the stack but I know others here do the same

So a pellet cooker is cheating but a gravity feed isn’t...

Oh ok...

Back