Clean out the Ash, you dumb ash

R

rockyibt

So first smoke has been trial and error, with a lot more error.
I abandoned the wok pan because it was absobring all the heat. So I was able to get around 200, but was adding a ton of charcoal and not really increasing the temp too much. Cleaned out the ash from below the charcoal grate and I've been around 235-240 for the last hour. Not sure how this pork is going to taste, but I'm at least learning how to use the smoker.

Learning Curve, It is the primary reason why we call it a learning curve, reason being, we all learn differently, and it takes us through changes, but we do learn...Trial and error...Keep Cooking and Keep Learning, and asking questions

Keep at it! Sounds like you are figuring it out.

What are you cooking on? What type smoker or Grill? Which fuel Lump/Briquettes etc...

Learning Curve, It is the primary reason why we call it a learning curve, reason being, we all learn differently, and it takes us through changes, but we do learn...Trial and error...Keep Cooking and Keep Learning, and asking questions

Amen to that! I could not figure out my temp troubles on my Pro-Q Excel 20 until I read on this board that the "water" pan should really be filled with sand. Sure enough, I filled the sand pan and had the temps dialed-in at 230 for 8 hours yesterday, using only one basket of coals and starting with half-chimney. Best smoke so far and I used much less fuel.

Thanks Brethren!

I am betting that the pork will taste okay. It sounds like the ash was the problem and you are running fine now.

Rockibt, one thing I noticed in your post was that you are adding a lot of charcoal. When I add charcoal in the middle of the cook on my offset, I get it glowing red in the chimney starter first. If you add unlit charcoal it actually cools down the fire before it heats back up...

Thanks guys,
Gonna try the sand next time, I'm assuming just regular playground sand. I made sure the top coals were almost all white using the chimney, burned pretty good for 3 hours or so. Smoker is a Brinkmann Sn'P, using kingsford briquttes and hickory chunks.

Back