Akorn ribs

I had a big dinner a few hours ago but I'd hit about 3 or 4 of those right now.

They look pretty tasty from here, Why the Thumbs Down?

You guys are too nice. How about some real talk?

These were burnt up, you should have seen the bottom. We just scraped the meat from the hard shel. the sauce was to cover the burn.

Ive learned if you fark the cook just smother it in sweet baby ray's. People love that chit.

Well from the 1 pic they liked sauced but good.

they look damn good from my angle also , good cook Ninja , if you don't want them I will take them :-D

I have to cook at a little lower temps in my Akorn with a diffuser plate to keep the bottoms of my ribs for burning up.

I have to cook at a little lower temps in my Akorn with a diffuser plate to keep the bottoms of my ribs for burning up.

i had burnt grease on my pizza pan diffuser, i think I'm going to get a new one. Ive never really liked how big it is anyway. I think i vaporized the grease. I also think the therm is way off from it was. It was close enough to ballpark it before. These were charred after 2 hrs with it reading 325-350 range.

I like my akorn for shorter direct heat cooks but for indirect cookin not so much.

The kind words are nice fellas and shows the spirit this site has. I like to post cooks gone wrong. A disaster can be more insightful than a victory, more fun too.

Everything I "smoked" on my Akorn was hot and fast. That's why Akorn doesn't live here anymore. I did all the mods and I must confess was one of the best damn grills I've owned. I just couldn't tame her with my skillset. So I set her free.

My Bubba Keg always wanted to cook hot. It was amazing for steaks, pizza etc., but my WSM was my go-to for anything quasi low n slow (275 or lower). I could get Bubba to settle in around 275-285 with a LOT of attention, but it cooked happier when hot.

Bubba Keg design was very similar to Akorn fyi.

Most of the time I have no problem with my Egg low and slow I would not think the Acorn would be that much of a difference although I have never used one

How did you do that yard bird ? Looks nice

The akorn does well with chicken. The distance is good and the direct heat without a diffuser crisps the skin good. For prep i like to use a mayo slather, helps with the skin.

They cook for about an hour, i flip skin down for 10-15 min about half way through and flip back to finish

Back