Rib tips

twatsonr1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to cook rib tips? How long do they take? Thanks, it's my first time lol.

Same as ribs but take less time. Bend dun work as well on them so go with the pick test.

pierce the meat between the cartilage and it should go in like butter.

I trim and Eat the tips as a snack and a cooks treat while the ribs cook.

Tooth pick test works for me. Question: If you were to tip someone for giving you a tip on how to cook tips, does that make it a tri tip?

Not a BBQ use....but I generally cut that section off the spares and save it for when I'm making meatballs and gravy. Brown the rib tips in olive oil and let them simmer in tomato sauce. Really adds some porkaliciousness to a pot of meatballs and gravy!

Just put 5lbs on an hour ago. Here on the south side of Chicago tips are more popular than ribs. Smok'em just as you do regular spare ribs. Takes me about 4-5 hours at 250-275 on the UDS. They come out a little dark but taste great. You might want to foil at the 2-3 hour mark if presentation is an issue.

Have used Simply Marvelous and Oakridge with great results but today I'm using Tony Chachere which is excellent with higher temps.

Till they pass the bend test!

Am I doing this right? :mrgreen:

Hehe :becky:. I like you :clap2:.

Pretty good. You just have to be a little more condescending in the fact that they had to ask doesn't really even warrant a reply from those "in the know" :clap:. But keeping it short to "Till they past the bend test!" with no further explanation was perfect. I always feel a "nuff said" only enhances it more :laugh:.

Ok back to being serious :crazy:. When I normally cook tips it's on my offset and I roll 300-325 and they are done in 2.5-3hrs. They seem to take just a little less overall time than St. Louis.

Hehe :becky:. I like you :clap2:.

Pretty good. You just have to be a little more condescending in the fact that they had to ask doesn't really even warrant a reply from those "in the know" :clap:. But keeping it short to "Till they past the bend test!" with no further explanation was perfect. I always feel a "nuff said" only enhances it more :laugh:.

And don't forget to suggest they build a UDS and reprimand folks for cooking under 275°.

Here's another vote for rib tips. I think tips might be a "Northern thing". I know when I talk to my son who has lived in Atlanta for 8 years, he says a lot of the "Q" restaurants he's been to in town don't even sell rib tips. Also just going by the comments I've seen from Southern members in this forum and other forums, it seems like rib tips are considered scraps by many.

Here in my city, many of the BBQ restaurants sell orders of large tips, small tips, and rib tip dinners. And it's not unusual for a restaurant to sell out of rib tips before regular ribs. If I want, I can buy a whole box of frozen rib tips, or prepackaged rib tips in the same case as spare ribs.

Not a BBQ use....but I generally cut that section off the spares and save it for when I'm making meatballs and gravy. Brown the rib tips in olive oil and let them simmer in tomato sauce. Really adds some porkaliciousness to a pot of meatballs and gravy!

I have done this myself and it is outstanding.

Here's another vote for rib tips. I think tips might be a "Northern thing". I know when I talk to my son who has lived in Atlanta for 8 years, he says a lot of the "Q" restaurants he's been to in town don't even sell rib tips. Also just going by the comments I've seen from Southern members in this forum and other forums, it seems like rib tips are considered scraps by many.

Here in my city, many of the BBQ restaurants sell orders of large tips, small tips, and rib tip dinners. And it's not unusual for a restaurant to sell out of rib tips before regular ribs. If I want, I can buy a whole box of frozen rib tips, or prepackaged rib tips in the same case as spare ribs.

There's a place here where I live that sells a "Rib Boat" - it's a paper boat with garlic bread on the bottom, a pound of bbq's tips on top of that, with fries on top of that. The tips are tender, and the fries and garlic bread soak up the bbq saucy goodness. Years ago they were on a main road, but in a really crappy part of town - the kind of place you wouldn't go to in the middle of the night unless you were packing a gun, or a little (or a lot) tipsy. I made many a midnight trek to that place after bar time. Its still one of my favorite carry-out meals.

There's a place here where I live that sells a "Rib Boat" - it's a paper boat with garlic bread on the bottom, a pound of bbq's tips on top of that, with fries on top of that. The tips are tender, and the fries and garlic bread soak up the bbq saucy goodness. Years ago they were on a main road, but in a really crappy part of town - the kind of place you wouldn't go to in the middle of the night unless you were packing a gun, or a little (or a lot) tipsy. I made many a midnight trek to that place after bar time. Its still one of my favorite carry-out meals.

You've just described every bbq joint on the south and west sides of Chicago...minus the garlic bread. Cheap plain old white bread is the way we roll.

Anyone have advice on how to cook rib tips? How long do they take? Thanks, it's my first time lol.

A good place to start would be to begin cooking them as you would a rack of ribs: season liberally with your favorite rub and put them on your pit for about 2-3 hours, 250°F-275°F.

At that point, take them off the pit and cut them into 1"-2" chunks. There's a boatload of cartilage so use a sharp knife. Then put the rib chunks into a disposable aluminum half pan along with some kind of fluid. Apple juice, bbq sauce, bourbon, all three, whatever lights you up. You don't want to float them, just creating something that will begin to steam as it heats. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and return to the pit for another hour and then begin checking them for doneness. Keep cooking them until they reach your desired tenderness and enjoy.

Good luck and I hope this helps you get started.

Well here in the south you can find tips in smaller dives in urban areas. Also you will find great soul food places serving them along with other not so mainstream items like ox tails and neck bone. You are correct though not on the menu in most big name bbq restaurants.

Back