the SLT (scrapple lettuce & tomato) with fresh long hot pepper rolls

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've had some crazy good luck with this year's garden so I'm trying to incorporate long hot peppers into just about everything :mrgreen:. My dad is a huge hot pepper fan so in addition to sending him home with a Father's Day sack of them I baked some into some fresh 'long hot' rolls. Earlier that day my daughter made breakfast which included scrapple. Had some of all of this leftover today which ended up, along with some ripe tomatoes from the garden, becoming Scrapple Lettuce & Tomato sandwiches tonight:

First the long hot rolls (the longest one was 13 inches long):

001_zpshe7eqtor.jpg

After sauteing them down in olive oil & garlic, I added them to some fresh pizza dough:

009_zps4ltlyc17.jpg

Then added some shredded cheese:

010_zps9mlfl0xc.jpg

Rolled up & onto the egg at 400 degrees:

013_zpsvjurfh0v.jpg

about 20 minutes later they were finished:

015_zpszo44m1by.jpg

Sliced up & read to eat:

022_zps581ef7vd.jpg

the nubin:

024_zps2mxbgfsn.jpg

fast forward to tonight, popped the leftovers into the toaster oven:

002_zpscmrgzib6.jpg

then added the scrapple:

003_zpstwwamjxl.jpg

the lettuce:

004_zps2xo1mamx.jpg

and the tomato:

005_zps81co2pwy.jpg

on with the lid:

007_zpsjb8js8fj.jpg

It was quite good, not as good as bacon in this format, but good. Gardens kick ass :biggrin1:

Looks great, mind you ,I had to google scrapple

very interesting idea, I would have never thought of that.

I finally had scrapple last year and loved it! A friend cooked it up. Wish I had access to it more regularly. I guess I could make some.

MY father used to have scrapple all the time.. (in the 60s). I haven't had any since the 80s... I want to go to there!

I am a freaking scrapple freak! Those SLT's looked amazing!! Pepper rolls looked delicious too!

Tremendous !!!!

i thought I was getting creative with BATsBacon, Avacado, Tomato, but this is over the top !!!!

The bread looks esp. fine !!!!!r

You had me at scrapple. I love it. Good thinking.

Never encountered scrapple. Is it more like Spam or souse (aka head cheese)?

Back