• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade Lump Charcoal - need help perfecting

likeadeere

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've often shared in other threads that I was planning on making my own lump. So here's proof. It's been easier than I thought. I used fruit wood from my orchard friends for the lump, and junk wood for the fuel to cook it. I have a large supply of both. I chop up the fruit wood it certain sizes with a miter saw. If they are too big, the wood doesn't carbonize all the way through. I fill up the barrel with as much wood as I can fit, along with the firepot - and set it ablaze!

If anyone wants more info on how to do this, ask away. Or if anyone has any pointers; shoot. I think its kinda cool to make my own lump and my own BBQ.

Pre-Lump Apricot wood.
View attachment 38046
I live in a small town, where city burning is 'illegal' or 'frowned-upon'; but I talked to the local fire chief and he said he liked my 'warming barrel'.
View attachment 38047
Gets pretty hot in there
View attachment 38048
My enclosed firebox
View attachment 38050
Finished product. Not too bad. I usually get bigger chunks than this, but this is the only picture I had to share. I've made 4-5 batches already and used them in the UDS. It cooks great.
View attachment 38049
Thanks Brethren - without you I wouldn't have had the stones to try this or the tools. I save money on lump, and I've learned something valuable.

Last edited:
Back