18 Hour Sous Vide and Rotisserie Leg of Lamb

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Started with a 9# boneless leg of American lamb. Rubbed it down with Big Poppa Smokers Desert Gold, herbs de provence, black pepper, and kosher salt. Vacuum bagged it up with a little EVOO, copious amounts of minced garlic and shallots. 18 hours in the hot tub at 131F. Outta the bag and patted dry, then a quick spin on the kettle rotisserie over a ripping hot pile of lump, apple, and pecan to crust up the exterior.

Made a nice au jus from the strained bag liquids and some veggie stock. Served with wild rice, asparagus w/ red onions sautéed off in some homemade butter, and glazed baby carrots.

Everything was outstanding, but next time I'll take the netting off the leg, unroll it, get the rub, seasonings, herbs, and garlic inside as well, before trussing it back up. That would definitely take the leg to the next level. I was just too tired to do it the other night.

Sorry for no plated pics, but you didn't come to see the vegetables, didjya?!? Happy Resurrection Day y'all!

-Chris & family

1492391362_zpsazhyflsk.jpg

1492391337_zps8o04hodx.jpg

1492391335_zpsrx6fywfi.jpg

1492391332_zpseysigjg4.jpg

Thanks Titch! To be honest though, I haven't done enough lamb to give a good comparison on the sous vide texture. It was really good though!

Norm, did you get crabs when you were in Madison?!? :shock::twisted:

(OK, OK... Norm is too classy to leave that be. He asked me about where I got the blue Maryland crabs that I bought last week, since he was gonna be in Madison and wanted to buy some, too)

Last edited:
Chris!

No I had some stuff come up and didn't make it there.

Looks Great! Also those blue crabs were tempting but that is completely on the other side of town for me or I'd have picked some up.

If it makes you feel any better, the crabs were on the small side. Lots of work for the amount of meat involved.

Looks delicious Chris!!
Not sure if I have the patience to sous vide anything for that long. Your post is making me a believer though. Thanks!! :-D

Looks delicious Chris!!
Not sure if I have the patience to sous vide anything for that long. Your post is making me a believer though. Thanks!! :-D

I find the main thing to be planning ahead - which is not one of my natural strengths. But if you can do it, it definitely reduces the hands-on time. As far as results, YMMV - I tend to like the outcomes.

I find the main thing to be planning ahead - which is not one of my natural strengths. But if you can do it, it definitely reduces the hands-on time. As far as results, YMMV - I tend to like the outcomes.

Thanks Ed!
I think my main problem is too many interruptions. If I lock my door and ignore the farm animals, I might have a chance to give this a try. :-D
Certainly looks worth the effort!!

Back