• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Finger foods for a birthday gathering - Pig Shots and Deviled Eggs (Pron)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, my buddy turned 50 on Saturday and was out of town celebrating with some family. He came back in town Sunday, so several of us got together and I made some finger foods for us to enjoy. Been a long time since I made any Pig Shots, and since it was Easter, Deviled Eggs came to mind.

First, I got the eggs, put them in a large pot, filled it with cold water to an inch or so over the eggs, brought it to a boil on high, waited a minute, then pulled them off the heat, covered them for 12 minutes, and put them in an ice bath to stop cooking.

I love Pig Shots, but anything more than a dozen is a pain to make. But, if I am going to do them, I am going to do a bunch. This time, I ended up making 68 of them. It starts with slicing coins of sausage and then wrapping them with half a slice of thick cut bacon, forming the cup for the shot.

C94454CD-DE4C-4AE3-BDE7-608BE37630DD_zpskj6kygep.jpg

We decided some baby shrimp would be good, so added one (or a couple parts) to the bottom of the cup.

5AE1B4B6-C66F-42B3-B954-D02B8BB410A2_zpsjuxclquo.jpg

I put these in the fridge to keep cold while I mixed up the filling. I mixed together two blocks of cream cheese, one pint of sour cream, a two cup bag of shredded cheddar cheese, and Slap Ya Mama seasoning to taste. Put all of that into a piping bag and squeezed the shot into the cups. I tried not to over fill them as they rise / expand when cooked, but...

758B2284-76AB-4AC9-B8EE-BBE200F43979_zpss7wnqd6k.jpg

Then another shrimp on top.

2EC1D411-6092-421E-9DD0-DC26516E4280_zpsbytezgyj.jpg

Then, onto the grill indirect.

06441A9F-D278-4C81-A197-C657EA4FF8FD_zpskd5eqn9l.jpg

Now, at this time I started mixing the Deviled Eggs. Let's see how the eggs turned out...

281C2C35-49FF-492C-8751-E292B8E7B1F1_zpsqx60jbwx.jpg

Perfect boiled eggs with no green ring. It had been a while since I had mixed the filling, so I went on the computer to look at a couple recipes. About this time I remembered the Pig Shots. Dammit. A little over cooked. And a little over filled.

298B816D-69E8-4BBA-9D18-8EF522CB3149_zps0csxflv6.jpg

So, let those cool before plating them and finished up the eggs. Yolks, mayo, mustard, dill relish, and a little Slap Ya Mama. Mixed up, into a piping bag and filled the eggs. A sliver of jalapeno and a dusting of Slap Ya Mama. These were good...

F20C43EB-3AC7-4207-9E52-7A4242162BD3_zpsaogykaox.jpg

Picked a pretty Pig Shot out and tried to get fancy and drizzle some sauce on it, but it ended up dripping more than drizzling...

022D8E91-0D91-4630-9442-52CB703B25CF_zps3uhm8sun.jpg

Took all that up to the bar to add to the Ghost Pepper spiced chips, and veggie and fruit trays.

Thanks for looking. I hope y'all had a great weekend with family...

Pig shots are a labor of love. Yours look excellent, Terry. Nice eggs too!

Hmm...I'm going to borrow the idea for the jalapeño topping next time I do them. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sure does look good, thank you for the showing a new appetizer to me!

Killer grub, Terry!

Double-shrimped shots and japaleno [sic] deviled eggs!? Yes, Please!

Those look addicting.

Looks like a fantastic snack to me

They are really rich, but really tasty. Squirt a little Stubb's Spicy on them, throw the whole thing in your mouth (don't be dainty) and chew. Pork and cheesy heaven.

Hmm...I'm going to borrow the idea for the jalapeño topping next time I do them. Nice!

It added a little flavor, but more, gave it a little texture.

Very nice job! What temp were you cooking the pig shots

Gasser was running on a burner and a half, so probably around 400*. I had time, I probably should have cooked them slower and they might not be so dark.

That sure does look good, thank you for the showing a new appetizer to me!

They turned out a lot prettier the last time I made these:

PigShots3_zps7ffef467.jpg

PigShots4_zpsc61763e3.jpg

PigShots5_zps0f69d128.jpg

I think I got lucky with that batch and may never see that perfection again... :tsk:

Back