Easter weekend boneless leg o' lamb and prime rib

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did a bit of cooking this Easter weekend on the GMG Jim Bowie.

First up was a boneless leg of lamb. I salted ~12 hrs ahead of time at 2.5g/lb, and seared first. Coated outside with a paste made from minced garlic, rosemary, black pepper and olive oil. Cooked at 200°. Pulled at 135° (All IT taken with Thermapen). Foiled and faux-cambro'd it for an hour or so while the guests went through cocktails & appetizers. Plated up like so:

x1dhtz.jpg

I've done two legs of lamb in my life. One was on the bone, this was boneless. The on the bone one was probably 4 years ago, and I don't remember what temp I cooked to, although I think it was more done. It was also very tender...but it was also a show animal from a local rodeo, hard to beat that! This attempt was the right level of doneness in my opinion, but some of it was far tougher than I expected. Other parts were wonderfully tender. Not sure if a bit more cook time would have helped with that, but given how it looks, I might be brave enough next time to pull at 140°

Also did a prime rib for folks who don't enjoy lamb. Salted ~24 hrs ahead of time at ~1g/lb. Day of cook, I seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning (which is why the pre-salt was at a lower rate) and seared first. Cooked at 200°. Pulled this at 125° and it rested for 1.5 hours or so foiled and cambro'd like above.

2ild0dc.jpg

Man, I love a pellet grill. :thumb:

I have been very happy with the foil and cambro method. I know that I can get done an hour before guests arrive (heck, even two) and the meat gets automatically rested and is still plenty hot to serve. Makes for a much less frantic time when we're ready to plate up.

Both look great.

I'll say... lamb looks perfect - maybe that one muscle in the leg is the tougher one
(I forget the name). Rib roast looks very delicious as well.

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. Always a good time when I can get some meat on the smoker!

I'll say... lamb looks perfect - maybe that one muscle in the leg is the tougher one
(I forget the name). Rib roast looks very delicious as well.

You know, you may be right. If I remember correctly, the tough bit was limited to one area. I'll try the higher temp next time and see how that goes. The rib roast was spot on and delicious. That's my 3rd one this year and I've been nailing every one of them exactly...a far cry from it used to be very hit and miss. I credit the Thermapen for giving me a fast, accurate reading. :thumb:

Back