BBQ Guru CyberQ WIFI review

ajl79

Reaction score
Over the last week I have had many people contact me regarding the unit and what my impressions are with it. Today I am on my second cook with it and I must say it has been a real pleasure. This morning I started up my large bge and set all the temps up for a brisket flat 8lbs and two 5lb chuck roast. I am also using my adjustable rig (B&R model with extender) for the first time. I put all the meet in and left for the zoo with my wife and son. Most would think I'm crazy leaving $60 worth of meat in a cooker and not being around to tend to it. Well I monitored my meat and cook temps while I was gone and the unit did its job perfectly. I did not get one alarm so things were working out great. I retuned home to see that progress is still moving along as we are trying to bust through the 165ish range. it was nice to leave the house and still have control over the cook.

I highly recommend this unit if you want to monitor Your cook while away. It was very nice to know i have control even though im away. I'm very happy with the unit and wish they had this years ago. Last weekend I was frustrated to no end with the setup but that is very easy as long as you know port forwarding on your router.

Thanks for the review. I'm trying to decide between the Stoker and the CyberQ and this helps.

The good: adhoc mode, really a great temperature monitor. I've used it on a butt, london broil, salmon, and three times to roast green coffee beans. Very nice results. It has replaced my Smokin Tex thermostat and thermocouple. Not going back.

The bad: infrastructure mode. If your range requirements don't exceed 600 feet, then adhoc will be fine for you. But you are paying a lot of money to have access via wifi from anywhere. For that you must configure infrastructure mode in a manner that works. I wasted more time today attempting to set up Infrastructure mode, via my new Cisco/Linksys EA4500 router.

If a bretheren could share a screen shot of their router port forwarding, and another of the WiFi set up, then my rating of the CyberQ WiFi would go up.

I hear setting up infrastructure mode is a nightmare with newer routers. Even from a guy with over 20 years in networking.

Amen! I had to dig up an old access point to get it to connect in Infrastructure Mode.

I know this is a old thead. Just got my Guru and could not connect emailed Guru support and they told me.
"[FONT=&quot]Hello John. The phones are not adhoc capable so that’s why they cannot see the unit. The router must be set to b/g/n compatibility mode. I would make sure that it’s not locked to G or N and you might have to set the channel of the router to channel 1, 6 or 11 to get the CyberQ to see your router."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I changed my router to channel 11 and waa-laa:clap2: I am hooked up. now to see if I can use phone browser to check on pit???? I will let ya'll know what they tell me

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I had the wifi guru set up in infrastructure mode with port forwarding in less than 5 minutes. I guess I got lucky. You don't even need to set up port forwarding unless you plan on leaving the range of your wireless network.

I am also looking at the CyberQ and the Stoker. Like the ability of the Stoker to control more than one pit for the price of an additional fan as opposed to buying a complete additional CyberQ unit. Anyone have a Stoker that wants to comment it would be great to hear from owners of both.
:grin:

I use the cyber Q to monitor my pits temp at the restaurant. It gives me piece of mind to know that my pits are holding temp all night long.
I will say that the set up is not all that easy though. I had to have my ISP assign a static IP and then it wasnt too bad.
I am only using it to monitor the temps, so once I was able to gain access via my phone all was good.
At any time of night, I can look at my phone and see my pit temps in real time. I then roll over and go back to sleep.

I did not have any of these issues. I set up dynamic DNS on my FIOS router (connected to no-ip.com provider)
Set a static IP on the GURU.
the I connect right to it from anywhere..
I did set it to port :8080..

I also had my cyber q wifi setup in infrastructure mode within minutes. I haven't setup the port forwarding on my router yet, but most routers are pretty straight forward.

Mine was a piece of cake to setup in infrastructure with my newer Netgear router.

I use a apple time capsule and was set up really quick with port forwarding. I cooked a brisket from work the other day. My wife was home so I have the brisket cooking on a rack in a foil pan. When the meat hit 165 I had her add the liquid to the pan and cover with foil. Set it to ramp mode and came home from work to perfectly cooked brisket.

There is a post here on BBQ Brethren about how to set up the cyberq on a mac. I followed the instructions with no problem.

Now if someone would put a tutorial on how to update the firmware on a mac I would be all set.

Ok, for the port forwarding, for those that need the help
Router's Single port Forwarding settings:

Name=BBQ

External port= 80

Internal port =80

Protocol= Both

Device IP#=192.168.1.***

Enable =yes

and it works. Only problem now that I am waiting on a answer is for me to hook up WiFi I have to reset the Guru and the use the Web interface to switch it back to Infrastructure mode then I am hooked back up WiFi. If I turn off my Guru next time I turn it on for some reason it does not hook up WiFi in less I do that.

Followed MAC instructions offered on here and set up in less than 10 minutes. I also reserved DHCP on my airport extreme for the CyberQ so that in the event of a power failure it will always reassign to the same number. I will see how steady my ip designation holds and will use a free ip reservation service, if needed.

Back