Getting a smoker in Japan

Carbon, that is in L.A., I can tell you that up here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is precious little of the flavors I grew up with. Most of the places here have made the food more familiar to Americans. There are just a few places in S.F. and San Jose that really get it. That being said, I have never been to Japan, so the food I know is over a century old.

I can tell you that up here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is precious little of the flavors I grew up with. Most of the places here have made the food more familiar to Americans.

Even here in LA, many sushi joints, for example, including many in Little Tokyo don't even use wasabi in their sushi.

I would really consider a unit such as a Spicewine, the insulation and efficiency cannot be beat. Using Binchotan, even in Japan will not be cheap, a UDS runs through 10-12 pounds of charcoal for a typical cook. They are not insulated and during cold weather, will burn even more fuel. The insulated cabinets, of which there are many clones as well, are zero clearance units, that burn very little fuel, as little as 2 to 3 pounds and are very space efficient.

My experience with running a kitchen, is that you get as much as you spend, buy cheap equipment and you will fight it everyday, making cooking a chore. Buy good equipment and you can focus on your customers and food. If nothing else, search this forum for backwoods clone. You can have an experienced metal fabricator make one of these up very quickly.

Thanks. Considering Spicewine has come in with a shipping cost under $800, I may have to SERIOUSLY consider that option.

Last edited:
Here is 2 pictures of Brinkman trailmaster 57"vertical sold only by Home Depot
less than $300.00 usd shipping weight around 130lbs has to be assembled
so it comes in a box. Requires some work to better seal all the seems but cooks really well would make a good pattern to build one by and takes up very little room. The metal is thin mine is 6 mo old and holding up well for what it is.
Lone star grill makes what appears to be a really good one that dosen't take much space.

Attachments

• 20130717_223103 (1).jpg
    20130717_223103 (1).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 146
  • 20130717_222952.jpg
    20130717_222952.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Also look into any customs, VAT and/or duties charged on importing goods from the USA, which will be added on top of the shipping fee. I can't speak for Japan, but in Europe you also need a business license and a custom's tax ID (connected to your businesses tax ID). This is free, but is a bureaucratic series of hoops.

As a small bar and restaurant owner myself, I can only agree with you on staying small and simple (for a 3 day op) until you have to inve$t in bigger and better equipment. Because of cash flow, we slowly built out our kitchen over a span of two years, and it's now pretty well suited to what the client-side demands of us. If we'd had a big loan and did the build out at the beginning, we'd be stuck with a kitchen that would not have been as efficient. Best of luck, it sounds like you're putting all the right thought into the process!

Also look into any customs, VAT and/or duties charged on importing goods from the USA, which will be added on top of the shipping fee. I can't speak for Japan, but in Europe you also need a business license and a custom's tax ID (connected to your businesses tax ID). This is free, but is a bureaucratic series of hoops.

As a small bar and restaurant owner myself, I can only agree with you on staying small and simple (for a 3 day op) until you have to inve$t in bigger and better equipment. Because of cash flow, we slowly built out our kitchen over a span of two years, and it's now pretty well suited to what the client-side demands of us. If we'd had a big loan and did the build out at the beginning, we'd be stuck with a kitchen that would not have been as efficient. Best of luck, it sounds like you're putting all the right thought into the process!

Thank you for the advice and encouraging words.
Imports fees and taxes are something I'm aware of but know nothing about.
Spicewine's reasonable quote of $763 shipping on a medium vertical means I may have to do some research on them now. I already have the business license as I've been running a small English school for a few years but I doubt that would be a big deal anyways because the smoker size I want is a typical backyard unit for most people. I can just say it's for personal use.

Glad to hear that your business has seen growth and I hope that trend continues!

If I were you I would also sell some Japanese style BBQ Phood next to the US.
A nice smoked teriyaki porkbelly sandwich for example.

Good luck!

You can't go wrong with a Spicewine.
The cooker is a beast and will out last all of us. Spicewine construction is top notch!
A medium is a fantastic size as it should cover your needs while it holds rock solid temps.
The unit will cook away for hours without having to be refueled allowing you to spend time taking
care of customers and other things like sleep!
I have attached a photo of my Large Spicewine with only 2 of its 4 racks loaded with Pork Butts.
I know you are not looking at a Large but I love this cooker and always want to share my pics of it.
Good luck with your business and finding the cooker that works for you.

Spicewine's reasonable quote of $763 shipping on a medium vertical means I may have to do some research on them now.

Attachments

• Spicewine.jpg
    Spicewine.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Spicewine 2.jpg
    Spicewine 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Spicewine Butts 3.jpg
    Spicewine Butts 3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Spicewine Butts 2.jpg
    Spicewine Butts 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Spicewine Butts 1.jpg
    Spicewine Butts 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 109
A friend and I have been discussing the idea of forming a charity BBQ organization, and Spicewine cookers are at the top of my list (my potential partner disagrees) of cookers that I would want for that purpose. I don't understand how he can get the price for shipping that low. They are heavy, solid and function incredibly well.

It's not my money, but, it would be a no-brainer for me.

You can't go wrong with a Spicewine.
The cooker is a beast and will out last all of us. Spicewine construction is top notch!
A medium is a fantastic size as it should cover your needs while it holds rock solid temps.
The unit will cook away for hours without having to be refueled allowing you to spend time taking
care of customers and other things like sleep!
I have attached a photo of my Large Spicewine with only 2 of its 4 racks loaded with Pork Butts.
I know you are not looking at a Large but I love this cooker and always want to share my pics of it.
Good luck with your business and finding the cooker that works for you.

Dang! Now THAT'S a nice set of pics! Spicewine ought to coerce you into letting him use them on his website. Theirs are woefully small (hint hint). :wink:

Can't thank you and everyone else enough for the valuable input.
Right now I am strongly leaning towards one medium (for now) and one UDS next to it. Even though the UDS will command more of my time, it's important to keep in mind that I'm offering the folks over here not only good eats, but also a taste of American culture. I can do the longer cooks, i.e. butts and brisket, on the Spicewine, and do ribs, chicken, etc. on the drum.
Plus, as mentioned awhile back, using a UDS could open up some opportunities for side sales of units once people get hooked on the concept.

Cheers!

Last edited:
At least for something to start, I would build a couple of UDSs? They will make nice backup units and personal/tailgating cookers once you get a permanent unit (if business takes off). At that point, either a commercial unit or a large gravity fed would be a good option.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

2-3 UDS would work fine for 50-100 people per day.

Put one of the fan/temp control units in them and you wouldn't need to watch them much.

That sounds like a great deal from Spicewine. I like the idea of the UDS sidekick too. Good Luck!

Well, it took longer than I had expected but the financing has come through and we are officially underway! Design plans have been finalized and we sign the construction contract this evening. Despite getting started nearly 2 months later than we originally hoped, we're still on target to complete renovations and be ready to throw a bash for Japan's opening World Cup match June 15th. There's a lot to do, not the least of which is get a smoker!

Unfortunately I'll be putting an order in at peak season (I presume) so I'm worried I may be looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get one built and on its way here. Still haven't made a final decision on who to go with although Spicewine still has the lowest quoted shipping cost (sure hope that number still holds!). I'm pretty much decided on a cabinet style and am fairly sure I'll be happy with any of at least 3 or 4 manufacturers highly touted on here. It may come down to what's available when and how much to ship it. I've asked before but I'll put it out there again, if anyone has a unit ready or soon to be ready to go and can get it shipped to Japan for under $1K, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I'll be posting our progress and look forward to continuing to hear your feedback. Thanks for the support!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back