Best Pit You have Cooked On ?

People might laugh but pound for pound It's gotta be my mini ...no question.

Don't know who would laugh....those things are known to put out awesome food. My Shirley might be the best pit I've ever cooked on but my number 2 is a $10 Kettle from Craigslist. Ain't nothing you can't cook on a Kettle.

People might laugh but pound for pound It's gotta be my mini ...no question.

Love it!
Snow doesn't keep us from smoking!
This winter my neighbor said he woke up at 5am to the smell of wood burning and thought there was a house fire...
Nope, just me smoking a brisket.
We are all a unique breed.

Just did two burgers on the fire box of the beast and I have to admit they are about the best I've ever had. Must be that piece of 3/4 inch Hi carbon steel plate. The surface temp is around 700

I was doing a test burn on the chimney and couldn't waste the fire.

Last edited:
I've had a Masterbuilt propane smoker, a custom built vertical offset, and an LSG Insulated Vertical.

By a long shot, my favorite is the LSG. The offset stick burner did produce good food, but man I really don't care for tending the fire every hour. I love the rock steady temps I can get with an insulated cooker. Best toy in my back yard easy!

That old thing????

You may need to invite me over sometime to see if it's really that good!:wink:
:thumb: We need to have a St. Louis bash.....hell, there is enough of us on here.

Last edited:
I don't have it yet (#7 in queue) but for how much it is going to cost and as long as I have waited for it, it better be my LSG Vertical Offset or the wife is gonna kill me. :eek:

I don't have it yet (#7 in queue) but for how much it is going to cost and as long as I have waited for it, it better be my LSG Vertical Offset or the wife is gonna kill me. :eek:

I lol'ed at this. Something tells me you will be just fine :wink:

I've stood next to a bunch of super nice pits, does that count?

Best pit I've opened and pulled meat out of was my buddies comp team smoker that's 7' tall, 4ish' wide drum with revolving grates. Pretty sweet setup.

I learned on a JR Smoker Oven, nothing better for cooking 30 packers a day, along with a load of butts and ribs.

I cooked on a Custom Klose offset, what a fun cooker

Our church had a 50' by 4' open pit out back that we cooked hundreds of pounds of chickens on, what a learning experience

There is nothing as easy or familiar for me as a Weber Kettle, I choose it for 75% of my cooks

I did watch a few folks cook on a Shirley at the last N Tx Bash.............

Learned on a Weber kettle. Moved through various cookers and landed on a Pitmaker. Still learning it, but so far it is in a league of its own. Got it to hold at a nice 275-280 for ribs then got it to hold a clean fire at 200 for 5 hrs. (For bacon) with the help of a Humphrey's charcoal maze.

Really nice piece of metal.

For ease of use my Kamado Joe is hands down the best cooker I have ever and probably will ever use. (I don't count pellet cookers, sorry guys but setting a temperature on a control panel doesn't count)

Smoke quality? I'm damn impressed with this little Old Country Pecos. I'm still a youngin' and can't afford some these fancy cookers you guys can so for what's in my price range this thing is awesome.

I've had a Weber kettle and a Char Griller Outlaw (I think that's what it was called) and the kettle was great but IMO the kamado style is the bigger badder brother, the char griller was the quality you expect from a Target cooker.

I've got my sights set on a Jambo in the future, not for a couple years. This Old Country works too damn well.

I never met a cooker I didn't like. I learned on an old Weber kettle and to say the least they are great. Some of my best memories come from cooking whole hogs with my grandpa as a kid. i have had so may great times cooking on various types of cookers, to say that one was better than the other would be tough. I have to say the best one, is often times the one that brings the most pleasure or builds the most memories for me.

I know that doesn't REALLY answer the question, but I'm feeling philosophical tonight..LOL

Like many here I too have owned and/or cooked on many different from low to high end. My favorite is a reverse flow stick burner. For grilling I use my Old Smokey!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE"]Big Ron's BBQ Smoker Trailer - finished (take 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Back