BBQ costs

RowdieQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
What is the estimated costs associated with entering BBQ contests?

What is the estimated costs associated with entering BBQ contests?

It depends on what you have on hand already or if you need to buy stuff.

What you can count on to pay.

Entry Fee - $200 ish
Meat Cost - To get out cheap you can find stuff on sale and only do 1 brisket, 2 butts, 3 racks of ribs. - $150-$200ish
Rubs, Sauces, Brines, Injections - If you go commercial $30-$60ish
Ice - $20-$40
Beverages (alcoholic and non alcoholic) - $50-$100ish
Dinner/Breakfast - $10-$30ish
Wood/Charcoal - $20-$60

If you have all these other items you won't incur that much more cost, if you don't have some of these items add them into your cost.

Canopy
Folding tables
Foil/Butcher Paper
Coolers
Chairs
Fans
Extension Cords
Lights
Fire Extinguisher
Aluminum Pans
Washing bins/Bus Tubs
Trash Bags
First Aid Kit
Paper Towels
Storage Bins

For my first comp the total tab was close to $1,000 since we didn't have a lot of essentials to get through the comp. Next competition, won't be as expensive as there were a lot of 1 time cost, but we will still be upwards of $400-$600

Depends, you paying all or splitting cost with others? I recommend splitting cost.

For us, LOW end is right at $600 when everything is taken into account. Usually in the $700 to $800 range...

aawa pretty much nailed it. Finding a teammate helps cut the cost. I also think that allows each person to be able to focus on a couple categories and really fine tune the timelines, recipes, etc.

We are spending about $700 per contest, plus gas and an occasional motel depending on distance. We try and hit up comps that let us vend to help off-set expenses.

We're generally in the 5-700 range. We don't use high end meat (that may change next year), just what we can get at Sam's/Costco. We will get the prime brisket there, though, just no wagyu, etc.

This includes only what we pay for as a team. Therefore it doesn't include meals, alcohol (we do buy a couple cases of water as a team), etc. If you include all of those items, we're probably 800-1000 when it's all said and done.

600-800 here too. It hits the higher end when i need to replenish general supplies every 3rd-4th contest.. (paper good, plastics, grocery, etc.).

I like to pull in the night beofre so its easier to load the trailer into its spot, so theres usually a hotel room added to that.

So if I figure with hotel room and fuels cost, almost a grand.

Just finished my first two comps. Each was between 4-500. Though entry fee for each was less than $150. Cooked one brisket, two butts, three racks and 16 thighs. Just water to drink and a meal at Subway.

We just completed our 14th comp this year in our rookie season. I have tried to cut costs every way I can. It still runs around $800 to $1k per comp. Entry fee: 250-300, meat if your buying wyagu which we are $400. Gas for the F-350 I had to buy for the toy hauler. Forget how much it costs and just have fun. Damn sure don't tell your wife the true cost.

It all depends on sanctioning organization...or lack thereof.

You can compete in unsanctioned competitions will grills and equipment you already have laying around the house. Entry fees for unsanctioned contests could be $50, or they could be $200 like a KCBS contest.

Down there in Texas you have a few different sanctioning organizations to choose from. Most of the answers above will be cost for a KCBS contest.

Do you know if you want to jump in to sanctioned cooloffs or are you going to start with "backyard" or unsanctioned...that is a huge cost difference.

I average $800-$1,000... Depends on location.

ball park is a grand. notice that most folks mention all the things the cost doesnt incldue. we dont like to think about how much this costs.

Pork butts are damn near $2/lb these days...pork butts. $2/lb.

Sorry for the follow-up newb question to these posts, but if yall are spending around 1k on each comp, how much of that would you say you're getting back from getting calls? I realize some comps you may not get anything back, while you may be GC at the next, so I was just curious on a ballpark percentage. Hearing these costs definitely makes me hesitant to enter the comp world, even with splitting the costs with a few buds.

Like TooSaucedToPork stated, it all depends on if you are competing in KCBS or MBN or IBCA or something else.

I've competed in a North Carolina Pork Council contest that had an entry fee of $25, with meat that the organizer provided to ALL the cook teams. What you cook has an effect on cost as well as where and how and ALL the other little things.

I believe that most of the answers you have gotten so far are for KCBS, but they don't say.

Sorry for the follow-up newb question to these posts, but if yall are spending around 1k on each comp, how much of that would you say you're getting back from getting calls? I realize some comps you may not get anything back, while you may be GC at the next, so I was just curious on a ballpark percentage. Hearing these costs definitely makes me hesitant to enter the comp world, even with splitting the costs with a few buds.

For me, if I am paying entry fees with the winnings then we are doing pretty well.

Then sell the leftovers @ $10/lb and you can get closer to breaking even.

Win $250/ contest on average and sell $100 of BBQ and then split everything with someone else and it really isnt that bad.

pay for everything yourself and dont win and you can spend a bunch of money in the hurry...

I did my best on return for money spent this year at a steak contest! Spent $100 entry fee, maybe $20 on gas and food and won $500! Meat is provided.

I bleed lots of red on KCBS barbeque contests. Average cost is $600 or so. It's a Hobby$$$!

Think of it just like gambling - if you need to win anything to be able to do it then you can't afford it.

Very few teams win enough to make a major dent in their costs. Yes, some win a fairly often, but to do this they must enter a lot of events, so their expenses are correspondingly greater as well. If you need help covering the cost of competing, look to sources other than prize money for help.

Back