• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's good at Trader Joe's?

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hello all we just got a Trader Joe's here in San Antonio and I know I've read a lot of posts mentioning ingredients from there. So what should I try for my first trip?

They used to have Wasabi Cashews a long time ago. May have been my all time favorite snack. Every time I go, I look for them hoping they have returned but alas they still do not sell them. I have heard good things about the pizza dough. I do like some of there simmering sauces for a quick dinner (non BBQ).

Up here, they often have Niman Ranch Pork Chops and occasionally, some great steaks. Oh, and any type of food you would want when you are higher than a kite.

There are often good beer and wine deals, the hard booze is also often a good deal. I like their olive oil and their salt prices are hard to beat.

California estate evoo
Some very good chicken sausages, especially one with wine and cheese
English bangers around St. Patrick's day
Tri-tip from some place called Australia?
Raspberry preserves
Garlic naan
Tapinade
Frozen packages of teaspoon size portions of garlic, basil, & cilantro, very convenient
High brow chocolate chip cookies

You might take a look at this sight, lots of information:
http://www.traderjoesfan.com

Two Buck Chuck ($2 Charles Shaw label wine) is great for cooking. Loads of decent "table wines" in the $5 to $8 range if you take them for what they are.

Their turkey burgers are inexpensive and tasty. I often pick up their slider-sized hamburgers which fit perfectly in slider-sized hamburger rolls for quick kid food. I've gotten decent poultry from them, too.

CHEAP spices and seasonings. many in grinder bottles. I second the oils and vinegars.
The veggie corndogs are surprisingly satisfying! the orange chicken bag is awesome. Love the mini pepperoni pizzas.

Their frozen fish is very nice for non-fresh. That said, I avoid their packaged sushi. Ew.

Garlic Fries
Garlic Naan
TJ Brand craft beers are excellent
Pizza Dough
Two Buck chuck (still 2 bucks here)

Garlic Fries
Garlic Naan
TJ Brand craft beers are excellent
Pizza Dough
Two Buck chuck (still 2 bucks here)

Wow..exactly what I was going to say. Also many of the normal staples of milk and eggs tend to be cheaper than mainstream grocery stores. (Not as cheap as Wallyworld)

Peppermint Oreos (they call them Jojo's)
Also many of there frozen entrees are quite tasty even spicy.
Roasted Pepper and Tomato soup.

Trader Joe's is basically a yuppy junk-food store. They have good food, but more often than not I find that people who go there load up on chocolate-covered potato chips. I hear they have good turkeys and other things from time to time, but then they discontinue them. I usually end up with a case of 3-buck chuck (or two).

They have good frozen veggies, my kids and I like their chocolate chips, and the Salsa Autentica goes great with their blue corn tortilla chips (which I no longer buy due to being unable to exercise self control :tsk:). I haven't comparison shopped in a while, but I think their dairy products still go for a competitive price. They used to carry an habanero salsa that was awesome - I would destroy a tub of it, and the next day it would destroy me.

Well if their beer and wine and pizza dough is good it will be a worthwhile trip for me. Is it true that their charcoal is rancher?

Some things we always buy when we stop in:
Garlic naan
Orange chicken (frozen food section)
Whole coffee beans
Fried rice (frozen food section)
Pizza dough
Dried fruits (apricots are our favorite)
Edamame hummus (refrigerated section)
Depending on season we've really liked the heirloom tomatoes and stalks of Brussels sprouts too.

Back