Well That Was A Disaster

I'm not a fan of the idea of cooking in the garage - at all - but I will say I do appreciate you putting up this thread so that the rest of us will have a reminder of the safety issues that always come with fire.

Every household, especially ones with folks who cook with fire, should have at least one fire extinguisher that is charged and handy at all times. I have one in the kitchen and one outside, and I actually need to check on the outside one.

poor maverick... sorry bud. chalk it up as a learning experience I guess. Hope you get back up n running soon.

Quick update,

So I contacted Weber about the incident. They agreed to give me a discount on the three new pieces to make my smoker operable: the mid section, top cooking grate, and the cover. Normally those three pieces would be around $235, and they offered them to me for $150.

My question to you guys is, do I just buy a brand new WSM for $300, or do the replacement parts for half the cost? Thoughts?

That would probably be fine.....how's the charcoal pan / bottom section / legs, everything OK?

I would inspect the other "not replaced" pieces carefully and make sure no damage, scratches, etc. Hate to replace the three pieces and then six months later see the porcelain on another piece was cracked and rusted through.

I would inspect the other "not replaced" pieces carefully and make sure no damage, scratches, etc. Hate to replace the three pieces and then six months later see the porcelain on another piece was cracked and rusted through.

thats my plan when I get home tonight..

I would buy a used one for <$150 and use my undamaged parts as spares...

Quick update,

So I contacted Weber about the incident. They agreed to give me a discount on the three new pieces to make my smoker operable: the mid section, top cooking grate, and the cover. Normally those three pieces would be around $235, and they offered them to me for $150.

My question to you guys is, do I just buy a brand new WSM for $300, or do the replacement parts for half the cost? Thoughts?

I would ask them if it would be possible to get the $150 off a new bigger one.

First off, I'm glad your ok and your house is fine. Don't ever smoke in the house again!

The warping didn't happen from heat, it happened when you kicked your WSM over and it hit the ground with a full load on.

If it were me, I would look very carefully at the rest of your parts as suggested above. I would buy a used one and then have spares as peeps suggested.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you proceed!

Back