The Guinea Pig BBQ Championship

arlieque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The Guinea Pig
Promoted by Arlie Bragg along with Big Poppa Smokers

A private back to the basics BBQ contest
Feb 22, 2014 Indio California

Remember when BBQ contests were about friends getting together to see who could cook the cheapest cuts of meat the best? Remember when a WSM was a big cooker? Tired of $800 contests? Tired of finishing 3rd and not getting any money? Big Poppa Smokers is here to try a new format. This, “back to the basics,” contest is essentially a cost-controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize pool, and a weekend in the Palm Springs area during peak season.

BACK TO THE BASICS

Here is the deal. This is a stripped down contest with a single entry fee of $400 that includes all your meat. That’s right, everybody cooks the same meat. Meat is assigned randomly by a ping pong ball draw. Meat provided is 1 choice brisket, a 2-pack of butts, a 3-pack of ribs and 9 chicken thighs.

Your $400 entry also allows you to stay on-site and enjoy the amenities of our host site, The Shadow Hills RV Resort (http://www.shadowhillsrvresort.com) for two nights, a Saturday night mega potluck, heated pool, exercise and game room... and it's even kid and pet friendly!

We are shooting for 50 teams with a $10,000 prize purse. But in the, “Back to the Basics,” series we pay the top ten overall and top ten in each category.

We are also hosting a Kid's Que and Dessert Competition. Kid's Que will have no entry fee, and any Kid's Teams that enter will be provided with a Mini Weber that they get to keep after the contest!

On Saturday, we are going to have a post-awards dessert potluck, all teams are welcome to contribute their best dessert dish! Pizza will also be available for teams during the pot luck.

The Guinea Pig is a KCBS competitor series event with KCBS scoring, rules, judging, and reps. It is everything you would find at a KCBS contest, except there is no team of the year or category points. Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh are the KCBS Contest Representatives for this event.

For more info contact Arlie Bragg

arlieque@comcast.net

I am looking forward to this event. Sounds like it's going to be a great contest to kick off the 2014 season with.

Very cool Arlie and Sterling. Trying to see if I can work it out so that I can come out for this.

Cool! Nice idea. I am sure it will be a success! Only wish we could make it.

wallace

Just curious, is the fact that meat is provided the reason that this has to be 'competitor's series' instead of a points contest?

yes KCBS thinks that it shouldnt get points. I strongly disagree but oh well....you get cbbqa points if you are a California cook.

Is this open to the public? My dad lives right there in shadow hills.

I love the idea and wish I was close enough to compete in this. Well thought out and I'm sure it will be a very well run event. Kudos to Sterling and BPS!

I can see these popping up all over the US! What a great cost saving family event...way to go Big Poppa and Arlie! :thumb:

Just curious, is the fact that meat is provided the reason that this has to be 'competitor's series' instead of a points contest?

KCBS Rule #7:

When the contest
organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to​
enter only that meat.

Back