• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Does bark set in butcher paper?

bob3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I wrapped my brisket in BP after about 6 hours at 275. The brisket temped at 165. Last time I wrapped too late so I didn't want to do that again. The bark hadn't set. I just peaked at, now six hours later, and the "bark" (more like wet spice rub at this point) hasn't changed, and it still temps at 165. Would you unwrap it and wait for bark to form? I'm thinking maybe upwrap, go high heat, get some bark, and then wrap in foil in an attempt to save this mission. Thoughts? Or will patience pay off and I'll get decent bark in BP after it goes through the stall?

I would unwrap it and let it ride. It still may not bark up if it turned into a paste.

It went from 275 down to 225 overnight then I fired it up and now it's around 325 where its been for the last 2 hours.

I would think 325 will crisp it up. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get away from you.

Keep it wrapped or unwrap it? It's still in butcher paper.

Never had a brisket go that long and not develop a decent bark. Also, staying at 165 for 6 hours seems odd too. How are you measuring temps in the cooker?

I've got a maverick next to the brisket to check grill temp. I put it on at 9:00PM, went from 250 to 280 by 2:00 AM. Wrapped, temped around 165+/- in several places, went back to sleep and woke up at 7AM with my Maverick beeping because the grill temp was 220. Added a whole chimney of hot coals to kick it up, and temped again, at 165.

I took it out of BP at 9:30 (tempted around 175) and i've been spritzing it every 20 min or so. Nice bark is forming and it's around 180. I'm thinking of wrapping it back in BP or foil now.

Were you spritzing the whole time? That will add a lot of time to your cook while the temp tries to recover.

no, just started spritzing around 9:30. Probably done it 4 times.

My bark is usually starting to develop (not completely devoloped, but a very light crust) after about 6 hours

Butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it slightly speeds up cooking time and keeps the nice firm bark you desire.

Some butcher papers are treated with a coating, some think it is merely a wax coating. The coating may not be wax, but could more likely be a thin polyethylene coating. Either way, wax or plastic coated papers are not really suited for cooking food in them. They are designed to seal the meat in a manner to prevent loss of moisture for short term storage and/or freezing.

The preferred butcher paper has no coating of any type and is thicker, denser, and heavier in weight. Uncoated butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and keeps that bark nice and firm.

Spritzing only adds moisture into what should become bark.

275 for 6 hours should have set the bark up nicely. I would try not spritzing the brisket. Let it ride for the 6 hours without opening the smoker. Wrap when the bark looks good regardless of temp, let it run naked until it sets the way you want, then wrap for the duration of the cook. Also, if the rub is very thick, it can hinder the bark especially if you are spritzing the meat.

Back