Pulled pork for the masses

sleepsafe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been tasked with cooking pulled pork for a big pot luck at work. Here is my quandary, and I ask for advice from some of you who might have done this before.

I need pulled pork ready about 11 am on Thurs the 28th. I work all week of course, from about 6am to 4. I really don't want to cook all night to prepare for this, since I have to work the next day and my job requires that I be awake and alert...

I thought perhaps I could cook it this weekend late, perhaps Monday. Leave it panned and unplugged. Put it in the oven early Thurs morning, get it hot, pull it, and put it into a pre heated Yeti cooler to stay hot till 11. I won't have access to an oven at work, but could use electric roasters to wark. I don't want it to be mush.

Lastly I could cook all night, pull it off the smoker, put it in the cooler to rest and pull at work. This would probably be the best option, but my old bones don't do all nighters as well as they used to.

Any ideas, comments would be appreciated.

Cook it the weekend before. Pull it, bag it, refrigerate it, then reheat it in an oven or Nesco the day of the party. Easy peasy.

I've had great results cooking, pulling, vac-sealing, then boiling in bag to serve. I've done it for a couple hundred sammiches a few times. The cook and bag day can be a fair amount of work depending on how much you're dong, but reheating and serving is easy and the PP turns out very nice.

Yeah, maybe keep panned in large chunks (1/4 to 1/3 of whole pieces), add a small bit of liquid & heat that morning......pull all the way after you get there....
Mojo Criollo is a decent additive for re-heat....

That way it doesn't get the chance to dry out as much.....that's usually the way I'd go about it anyhoo.....

The "pull all the way, bag & re-heat in plastic bags in simmering water" method is reasonable also, but I've had it get a little mushy if it's not timed right doing that....

I've had great results cooking, pulling, vac-sealing, then boiling in bag to serve. I've done it for a couple hundred sammiches a few times. The cook and bag day can be a fair amount of work depending on how much you're dong, but reheating and serving is easy and the PP turns out very nice.

I am with gtr..... This gives my my best results..

I am with gtr..... This gives my my best results..
Ditto. I get best results doing it this way also.

This is what i do when i want brisket or pulled pork for lunch and dont want to be up all night.

Throw the meat on 4 or 5 hours before you go to bed. Im usually running about 275. Wrap it up (im using butcher paper) and stick it in the oven then go to sleep. Im usually at 225 in oven but i hace wiggle room in the morning. You may want to run a bit hotter. If you can check on it 2 hrs before you head out to see the progress and adjust temps if necessary. Pull from oven let it vent for a few then wrap some towels around it and stick it in a cooler. It will hold for hours.

Just another option, reheating does work too.

I would do the same as ninja. Smoke for 4-5 hrs. Wrap and finish in the oven. Put in towels and put in a cooler. Pull it later at work.

Back