• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Top 10 BBQ Spots in Texas

I've read about a dozen different top 10 and 20 places to eat BBQ here in Texas. Having traveled and sampled lots and having higher expectations than the average consumer ... i find most lists lacking.

Loses all credibility putting Meshack's on the list IMO. That is quite possibly the most overrated Q joint I have ever been to. Salt Lick just shows that they have been watching too much TV. That both of them are ranked higher than Stanley's... Ridiculous.

I've read about a dozen different top 10 and 20 places to eat BBQ here in Texas. Having traveled and sampled lots and having higher expectations than the average consumer ... i find most lists lacking.

That's been my experience too. Miller's always has billowing white smoke but always makes these lists. I'm a tough critic and Franklin is the best I've had at a restaurant. one of the guys I work with thought it wasn't any better than mine and a guy next to me said his comp neighbor cooks just as good or better.

Well, that is a list.

You cannot ever compare home cooked or comp cooked to restaurant. Just too many different variables.

Haven't hit all ten of those but have to agree the ones I have sampled wouldn't make my list, maybe Ray's. Could have been a bad day but I don't get the Franklin hype.

IMO--no place on the planet is worth 7 hrs in line. Anyones Q here will beet out Franklins it's the tv thing.

I've only heard of 3 of them on the list. Been to none. Still know where to go to get good BBQ :grin:

I do actually want to go to the Salt Lick, I haven't seen anyone else that has the same method as them and I want to try it.

IMO--no place on the planet is worth 7 hrs in line. Anyones Q here will beet out Franklins it's the tv thing.

TV may help but it's not a paid commercial. The pub is because of the buzz, the buzz is fueled by the pub. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy but the circle can be broken if the food isn't good.

Even Franklin thinks the line thing is ridiculous.

So I'm heading to Austin on Friday for the F1 race weekend. Not sure I can carve out time to wait at Franklins. Is the Salt Lick the next best spot?

Appreciate the suggestions.

I would say La Barbecue in Austin or Louie Mueller in Taylor.

So I'm heading to Austin on Friday for the F1 race weekend. Not sure I can carve out time to wait at Franklins. Is the Salt Lick the next best spot?

Don't have high expectations, the que is average at both places. In a blind taste test most cooks here would win 50% of the time against either Franklins or Salt Lick.

I ate at Salt Lick a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with the BBQ - it was good but nothing extraordinary. The thing I liked about it was the fact it reminded me of my grandfather's farm outside San Antonio and the BBQ parties he threw when we visited.

Iron Works in Austin was good but that's probably because I stood in line for an hour trying to get lunch during SXSW. I liked Iron Works better than Salt Lick.

Salt lick is ok to take family out for the experience. The food is decent (good brisket and burnt ends by the pound), but not worthy of a top ten...

Also, it's in Driftwood, not Austin...don't go to the other one in Round Rock.

Try La Barbecue, Freedmen's (open for dinner), or Styles Switch (also open for dinner).
Have fun.

Carl

If you want to look at tons of fine TX women, then yes, Salt Lick is a great place to go. Food is OK, but I don't think it's that great - but the scenery - wow! I really enjoyed Franklin's, but the line is long - luckily I had catching up to do with my little sister plus I met up with Gore, so it was all good. The food is fantastic, especially the brisket.

Anyway, a place with less of a wait and my overall favorite that I tried was John Mueller's. La Barbecue is supposed to be fantastic as well. I've also heard good things about Stiles Switch. If you can get to Lockhart, do that - Smitty's, Black's and Kruez. My favorite was Kruez but a lot of people seem to prefer Black's. The locals apparently eat at Chisolm Trail, which I haven't tried. If you can get to Snow's in Lexington on a Saturday morning, that's supposed to be really great.

Also- a few blocks from La Barbeque on the East Side- John Mueller has opened again. Love him or hate him- there is a huge line also... BUT, you can call ahead, so you don't have to wait in line. I'm in Austin only a couple times a year- so if you try this, check to make sure they are open and in that location...

Back