• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OT - Turkey frying

batboy

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Want to try frying a turkey this year in addition to spatchcocking one on the smoker. 2 initial frying questions:

1. The women are freaking out about peanut oil and kids' allergies. What other good oil options are there for turkey frying other than peanut?

2. Can anyone recommend a good quality kit? Looking for a turn-key purchase where everything comes together and I simply supply propane, oil and turkey.

Sorry for the non-Q questions.

Want to try frying a turkey this year in addition to spatchcocking one on the smoker. 2 initial frying questions:

1. The women are freaking out about peanut oil and kids' allergies. What other good oil options are there for turkey frying other than peanut?

The last half dozen times I've used the big turkey fryer setup (for turkey and other items) I have used either canola oil or the canola/veggie blend. Canola has a smoke point that is VERY close to peanut oil, only a couple of degrees less. The smoke point of canola also means it works well in subsequent frying sessions.

Go get yourself a Big easy from charbroil . You will save enough on oil to pay for it in a couple of cookings,not to mention you can do some great wings in one

I'm with poppa smoke. Check out the big easy. I know Toast has one, you can do a search for his turkey threads.

I second caustin919 on the canola oil.

And the rig,... I think I'm up to 4 at the moment. I have bought them from just about all the big box stores. The only one that was a POS was the one I got from academy. Maybe it was just that particular one,.. but, it had problems right out of the box.

The canola, or canola/veggie oil mix both worked well for us.

I always check craigslist,you might not get the full setup,but it will get you started.You can also use them for low country boils

You could go indoor with this...found it at Walmart, but available many places...I believe there are good reviews of it on the Brethren.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Butterbal...a-Large-Turkey-Fryer-Stainless-Steel/27584594

For me, Thanksgiving normally involves alcohol. That being said, I bought this unit simply for the safety aspect of not using an open flame with all that oil. The only drawback is that it can fit a 14 pound bird, max. Last year I had to cook 2, but it takes around 45-50 min, so it's not that bad.

Back