• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Specials

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We opened the restaurant with a simple menu. I did this for a reason. Now we want specials for the weekends. People are asking why I don't have brisket. I tell them it is too labor intensive to do right now. I will have to do it at some point. My first special will be ribs but brisket, in any form will be tough.

What are you offering as a special?

How many times a week are you smoking?

If that many people are asking about brisket, it might be a good idea to throw one or two on to see how it goes.

I have the smoker going every day. I may have to try it and get it done Thursday and have the special Friday and Saturday.

Get brisket points or flats from your food supplier. You should get a nice bark in 2 hours. Wrap in foil and heat to an internal of 210 and rest in a cooler for 2 hours.

when you cook your brisket for serving later, you can do a week ahead of time, cool ..slice...either vacuum bag or zip[ lock and heat in the warm water...no one will know if it was cooked last week...I also have some broth to dip in real quick...but brisket is a must seve...

i don't want to offend anyone but serving week old brisket to people is ridiculous. my .02

Why?

If a Brisket is cooled properly and you have a good way of keeping it moist after slicing, and then vacuum seal it. The brisket can taste better than straight off the smoker.

A brisket that is frozen and then reheated obsorbs moisture back into the meat of the brisket making it very flavorful.

I can think of several reasons why. but the main one is that customers expect and deserve a fresh product, not week old leftovers. aside from the fact that you would be spending more money on vacuum sealing bags, time portioning it all and labor.

if you were to go to a bbq joint and had the option of 1. Fresh sliced juicy brisket right in front of you, or 2. The option of ordering week old leftovers, or 3. Frozen and rehydrated brisket, which would you choose?

GREAT thread!

Many different reheat techniques out there. Some obviously better than others.

Serving fresh brisket is not an option as were open 12-13 hrs and cant ever run out of food. The trick is managing a proper reheat so the customer truly believes it WAS cooked fresh that day.

We serve all chopped brisket unless people asked for sliced. We cook and cool all briskets whole. We chop and reheat in small batches.

WE slice in front of the customer and when it's gone, it's gone. But then I'm not a restaurant...

Serving fresh brisket is not an option as were open 12-13 hrs and cant ever run out of food. The trick is managing a proper reheat so the customer truly believes it WAS cooked fresh that day.
as stated above, properly cooled and package will taste better properly re-heated...It was a tough sell for me also, but if you have 15 fresh briskets you are trying to hold, slice and serve will drive ya nuts...okay....now you only sold 3 today, so what is the best thing to do? In vacuum bags or even zip locks, you do not have to re-hydrate them...the warm water heat up you leave in the bag.. I try to do a fresh slice for customers, however if you have a line you must serve chopped or pulled...you also can work the point into this for a great sandwich...just trim the thick fat off before cooking or serving..but sometimes it is best to prepare ahead of time...If you warm up a whole one, I leave wrapped in plastic, and placed in buffet pan...or wrap in foil on low heat back in smoker...but you have to try several ideas to find out what works for you.

Back