First Brisket cook on BGE - Need Input Please

BigDog43

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tried my first brisket last night. It was just a flat from costco (6.5lbs), apparently they don't sell whole ones any more. Live and learn. Mustard and rub night before, plus K salt and ground black pepper.

8am put on brisket, adjustable rig, spider/stone, drip pan, top rack grilling
Smoked fat cap down at about 230 degrees on large BGE until internal temp of 158 (2:10pm) degrees and put in foil pan and covered. Seems like a long time to get to that temp.

Watched the temp til about 190 and did a prob test (about 6pm). It did not pull out easily. I inserted my prob back in from the other side this time and the temp was 170!!! I cooked it a few more hours until this side read low 190s (about 8pm) and did another probe test. I don't really have a feel for this yet, but it was a lot easier to pull out than before. I removed the brisket because it is now 8pm and people are hungry. If it was just me, I would probably let it go for a few more degrees. It turned out fantastic, but I have a few concerns.

First question, does cooking a 6.5 lb flat for 12 hours seem like a little much? I know it takes as long as it takes, but just as a rule of thumb, does that seem long, especially for just a flat?

Secondly, any idea idea why the prob read 190 from one side and 170 from the other? My only thought was that side of the first did see quite a bit hotter as I could see red coals glowing on that side and maybe a flame or two, but not so much the other. i wondering if that heat was affecting the prob wire or something.

I did a flat about that same size yesterday in my offset stick burner. It cooked in about 6 hours. Internal temp was 197F, cooker temp was around 300F

I cook all my briskets at higher temps now.

The temp varying on each side is an odd one especially for a BGE. Almost sounds like either one side much thicker or the charcoal was only burning on one side of the firebox.

I started my full packer last night at around 10p and allowing for a longer hold time after just in case. If it gets done early a long hold in a cooler will not hurt. I think unless you cook a lot of briskets with a consistent meat supply and know what to expect, just give yourself a good cushion of time and hold in a cooler.
I am in no hurry so I do not care if it takes 13+ hrs

As far as the temp difference, it could be that one area of the flat had more fat that was still rendering, keeping the temp lower. At those temps it could take a while to render a fattier piece of meat.

I'd say it's Extremely long, I do 15 lb packers in 8 hrs that is on the table not coming out of the pit.

I'd say it's Extremely long, I do 15 lb packers in 8 hrs that is on the table not coming out of the pit.

Yes, but you're not cooking at 230.

BigDig43, was that temp reading at the dome or at the grate? If it was dome temp, then your grate temp could have been as low as 200. A differential of 30 degrees is fairly common. So, 2 hours per pound is about right at the temp.

As far as the feel, you are looking for the probe to go in with little to no resistance, not coming out. Also, the only place you should be testing is the thickest part of the flat.

How are you measuring pit and meat temp?

@230 its gonna take awhile. Id guess over 12 hrs. Oddly flats take almost as long as the whole packer.

Also, measuring meat with the same maverick. I think I'm just going to say it was due to the flame on that side of the grill. It jumped up to 190 rather quick conpared to the rest of the cook. Thanks for all the input. Gonna try a whole brisket next time at a higher temp.

Also used Bludawg's injection. It turned out great and that's all that matters I reckon!

I love my BGE, but sometimes it's a pain to cook a brisket on it. I use a large, and sometimes I wish I had an XL to get some extra room to protect large packer briskets from the fire. On my large they fit snugly end-to-end — which isn't ideal.

You need to make sure you light the charcoal with the minion method. I usually dig a deep hole in the center of the pile of charcoal pour the light charcoal (from a starter chimney) into the hole. You need to make sure it's burning evening before you put the plate setter on. Also make sure the heat is coming from hot charcoals with no flames — they can shoot up the sides easily.

I also check the bark after 3-4 hours and that will tell you were your hot spots are. If the fire is cooking uneven, some areas will be darker than others. I've rotated my grate before to help get an even cook and used tin foil to protect areas if needed. I don't recommend flipping the brisket over though — it's too risky to screw up your bark (and it's messy if it's somewhat early into the cook).

I love my BGE, but sometimes it's a pain to cook a brisket on it. I use a large, and sometimes I wish I had an XL to get some extra room to protect large packer briskets from the fire. On my large they fit snugly end-to-end — which isn't ideal.

You need to make sure you light the charcoal with the minion method. I usually dig a deep hole in the center of the pile of charcoal pour the light charcoal (from a starter chimney) into the hole. You need to make sure it's burning evening before you put the plate setter on. Also make sure the heat is coming from hot charcoals with no flames — they can shoot up the sides easily.

I also check the bark after 3-4 hours and that will tell you were your hot spots are. If the fire is cooking uneven, some areas will be darker than others. I've rotated my grate before to help get an even cook and used tin foil to protect areas if needed. I don't recommend flipping the brisket over though — it's too risky to screw up your bark (and it's messy if it's somewhat early into the cook).

When you say "used tin foil to protect areas" what exactly do you mean? Like putting tin foil on the grate under areas where meat may be exposed?

Back