Where to start

Duddy55

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey folks! Just wondering if there is anyone on here willing to give me a little insight... I'm like most people that I've read on here (competition guy wanting to cater)... Actually I'm just trying to collect all the info that I can to really, decide whether catering is for me or even me worth the while... I'm new starting out do I'm not looking to dive head first and, quit my job and expecting to make it haha... I want to start out small as far as doing some small parties and weddings type of deal... My real question that I have is where in the heck do I start as far as, who to talk to first to get the ball rolling? I'm trying to gather the info and $ factory on permits/licensing, what I need to have to comply with the health department and stuff like that... Soooo if I was to decide tomorrow to begin my journey who would you send me to first to get things rolling... And go!

Talk to the Health Department. That will answer many of your other questions. Because they will tell you what you need to be legit. That will tell you how much $ you need to spend to get there. I cant answer your health department questions, because they are all different. They also differ by county. So advice from someone in your state may actually be bad advice. Give them a call, set up a meeting, and bring all of your ideas with you. Then you will see what it takes to get started.

Pretty much, first step is the health department to be legit. There are a lot of little annoying things you will need, and a couple of larger issues, that you will also need. That is what separates the pros from the wanna-bes. From there, it's up to you how big or small you go, however, it is tough to make money going small.

On the idea of doing weddings, not, maybe weddings are different around the country, but, out here, the hardest thing to cater is a wedding.

I totally agree with landarc. Weddings are a high stress and difficult event to cater even for the "pros". Starting out we targeted small groups. We catered office parties, reunions, etc in the 50-100 person range.

As for starting out both SkinEz and landarc hit the nail on the head. Your first step needs to be with YOUR local HD inspector. Not only are different counties different but each inspector is different in what regs they focus on. One may insist on all stainless steel equipment while another will say "as long as it fits the specs it is okay". There is no magic bullet when it comes to HD compliance. Meet with your inspector and then you will know what will be required in your service area. Oh, and if you go outside your local service area be prepared to deal with other HD inspectors that will probably disallow things you have been doing in your locale. :shock:

Also, understand that since it sounds like you are planning on catering being a "2nd job" you will probably be operating a non-paying hobby. It is extremely tough to make part time catering be profitable. With overhead, capital outlay, licensing costs, insurance costs, etc, etc you will probably just break even at best. And that is assuming you run a pretty tight ship.

I am not attempting to discourage you but I do want you to be aware of what this type of venture entails. We started out pretty much the way you are wanting to and it took us 6 years to get above break even. We don't really do it for the money. We do it for the fun of it. :mrgreen:

Have all your legal's done before u cater in your area.
Don't need the hassle off the inspector .

There is descent money in catering ,if it's done right .Have all ur duck's in a row per say.
Good luck .

Back