• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cookin for the masses.....

Rockman772

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey, I am a pretty good BBQ cook, but mostly cook for my church, and at small get-togethers. I am going to do a catering for 60 people in a couple weeks. They want pulled pork butts, smoked chicken, Mac&Cheese, and Baked beans. I saw on here to use about 30 lbs of pork butt. And I was going to cook 15 whole chickens, which would equal 60 pcs. As far as the sides, I was going to use the disposable foil steam pans, full size. How many people will one pan full of beans or Mac/Cheese feed? Thanks in advance for any help.

If it is full service:
30 per pan of mac-n-cheese
30 to 35 per pan of beans

Self-serve
25 per pan of mac-n-cheese
30-35 per pan of beans

Remember that is it always wise to have something to support those pans as you carry them.

Welcome to The Brethren Rockman772. A few more details would help. You said 60 people. Women and children or football players. It makes a difference in serving size and total cooked yield that you want. If you are making pulled pork sammies, you can go 1/4 lb per sandwich x 60 sandwiches=15 lbs of cooked pork=30 lbs of uncooked pork. Add 10% (my wiggle room) and you're looking at 33 lbs of uncooked pork. For the chicken, I would buy a 40 lb box of thighs. You really don't want to cut up that many whole chickens. Mac and cheese can be an expensive side. Beans are good. I agree with Landarc. If it is self serve, you are probably going to need 2 1/2 pans of each. You'll be better off having someone serve it. Portion control is your best friend. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I am doing something similar so I might as well ask in this thread.

How much beans does it take to fill a full size pan?

a #5 can enough?

thanks

I'm doing a wedding this weekend and cooking for 100 ( should be around 80 people) I plan on doing 2 pans of beans and slaw and 3 pans of Mac n cheese. We are doing PP, Pulled chicken thighs, and sausages also. Oh and corn on cob. So you should be good with doing 2 pans. They hold a lot more than one thinks. I'm planning on setting up the line as follows:

slaw
Beans
Corn
Mac
Rolls
Chicken
PP
Sausages

Keep us posted. Ps what you cooking on?

I have a big 300 gallon pull behind smoker. LP tank sideways, two doors on the main side, two gas cookers on the other side, Firebox down low on back with a warmer/over built on top of the firebox. It is a lean, mean smokin machine! I just cooked 20 slabs of baby back ribs last weekend for a "Walk to Emmaus" Christian retreat weekend. I dry rubbed them with my own "Blue Creek Madness Rub" the night before.....smoked them for 4 hours. One of my main secrets is when I take them off the grill, I stack them in a ice chest/cooler, one on top of the other, and shut the lid and dare anyone to open it. I leave them in the cooler for at least an hour, and up to 2 hours. This steams the ribs and makes them extra tender. I had so many people come tell me they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. I like it when a plan comes together!

I let them serve themselves and a full foil pan feeds 40 people on average for me. With a full pan of beans 2- 10# cans doctored up feeds 60 plus on average. Half pans I figure as 25 servings.

Back