Big butts for the Co-workers

likeadeere

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to post a thread with pr0n for the brethren due to my seasonal job. But now that most of the farmin is done for the season, I'm back at my desk, drooling over all of the wonderfulness that is the brethren.
Like most of you have shared with me, there is nothing quite like bringing left over Q to work, nuking it in the microwave and SLOWLY walking back to my desk. And then turning around and finding out that I have some followers! :-D So it's safe to say that over the years I've developed a reputation as the BBQ guy in the office. Mad props to the brethren, of course.
About 10 of the guys here in the shop area decided that I should smoke something for them and bring it to work. I happily obliged. As long as they could pay enough to cover the cost of the meat, I'm totally game. I decided on pork butt. Because pork butt sandwiches just sounded right. And it has easy fixin's, slaw, beans.

Now enough talk, PRON ON!

I didn't pay attention when I purchased them, but they were in fact boneless - oops. Rookie mistake. $1.67/lb

View attachment 58649

Good rub down of French's Yellow Mustard

View attachment 58647

Rubbed them down with a good portion of a Steve Raichlen's Memphis Rub recipe.

View attachment 58646

And made some hot vinegar sauce

View attachment 58650

Now this is where it gets interesting. I've smoked 1 other pork butt in my life. So I can't say I've got it down pat. But I'm aware of how certain things work. I started the butt at 6:30 pm in the evening thinking I would have a good 12 hour smoke at 250 then I could let it sit in a cooler or warming tray till lunch. And it be plenty tender and ready. I even received a wonderful gift from someone to help out with my smoking endeavors.

View attachment 58648

I love this baby! I've had the weber brand wireless transmitter for years, and when it went TU, there was only one I had to have.
This thing is awesome, but I won't get into how awesome I love my Maverick ET-732.
Back to the interesting part. I woke up at 5:30a, forgetting to wake up in the middle of the night and check my fire. And the maverick's low temp alarm, did not wake me up. Not that wild horses could have. I sleep pretty deep. And the awesome maverick told me that my fire was 'LLL', AKA dead, and my internal temp was 92. It got down to 20 degrees at my house last night. *sigh* I have a lot to learn.
However, I knew I had a good 6 hours before I had to plate up. So I brought my UDS to work, set it outside the shop, kept smoking the butts until lunch time. They hit their stall at 165, and then proceeded out of the stall up to 195. Just in time for 12. WHEW! I barely made it.
There is nothing like the feeling of, "Oh hell, what happens if the meats not ready, or I don't have enough?" There might be a word in the brethren dictionary for this, if any of ye wise ones know, please share.
The truly sad part of this tale, is that I was in such a hurry to prepare for this lunch, that taking pictures was of the lowest priority to me. So I have no finish pictures. But let's just say that I let no one down. And there were many happy customers. The butts were absolutely amazing. Thanks everyone!

P.S. The shop boys want me to do ribs now. And so my next post is going to have a whole bunch more pr0n to share.

Last edited:
It appears too me for the last couple of months the butts are getting larger

Back